ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Which place to make base for IT job hunting in UK?

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

nks

Which place to make base for IT job hunting in UK?

Post by nks » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:56 am

Hi,

I plan to be in UK starting first week of Sep '2010. Though there are not much positive results from all my job hunting here from India but I am considering a full and final attempt after being in UK.

Could pros here suggest what would be the better base for my 2 months stint in UK to chase IT jobs? I understand Reading is a hub but does it really matter to be based there as anyways I am not going to knock all company doors daily (wondering if there are any other benefits to be based here). Wouldn't London be a better option as there are ample opportunities there too and I could travel to Reading whenever there is a need?

I need to select only on criterion of easy access to IT employers. Since its just 2 months, cost of living etc may not matter much.

Thanks,
nks

gd_Shepherd

Re: Which place to make base for IT job hunting in UK?

Post by gd_Shepherd » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:46 am

I am considering a full and final attempt after being in UK.
Have hope and get a feel of the market. This should be your initial attempt rather than final one, given the time is near to XMAS. Start speaking to consultants (Through Skype Online number or any other suitable means) after you have applied to a job and get one or two interviews scheduled. This would help you during the immigration back at your country.

Shepherd

nks

Post by nks » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:18 am

Thanks for encouraging words. I don't quite understand how would interviews in UK help me in "immigration back to my country"??

gd_Shepherd

Post by gd_Shepherd » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:29 am

I don't quite understand how would interviews in UK help me in "immigration back to my country"??
Once you reach the immigration, you could produce the interview letters and nobody will utter a word, otherwise guys at immigration ask all sorts of questions like do you have a offer letter or why are you going to UK? You may need to spend time explaining the officers.

Shepherd

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:31 pm

gd_Shepherd wrote:otherwise guys at immigration ask all sorts of questions like do you have a offer letter or why are you going to UK? You may need to spend time explaining the officers.

Shepherd
Do they really do that? Thats total discrimination because a Tier 1 Skilled Visa is given to a person so they can seek employment in the UK. If the person is applying from outside the country, then its obvious they have to be IN the country to get a job.

If it was me and they asked such crap, I know what I would be telling them :lol:

KP

gd_Shepherd

Post by gd_Shepherd » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:01 pm

Do they really do that?
With the kind of numbers flowing out to different countries on different Visas on any given day, I guess the best way to do their duty is to ascertain the cause of visit by asking questions and to get convinced. I fully empathize with them.

Shepherd

nks

Post by nks » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:13 pm

Could some address my original query please..Reading or London?

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:24 pm

Most IT jobs are down South so you can get offers from any major cities like London, M4 Corridor, Reading, Bristol, Cardiff etc

Best to stay in London as most jobs are here and assuming most of your interviews are here as well, then you save on train times and charges.
If not stay anywhere else like Reading so as to avoid high rents.

Bristol and Cardiff are good as well but for interviews in London, it will be an expensive 2 hr train ride.

KP

rohitktm

Post by rohitktm » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:26 pm

In my case immigration officer didn't ask a single word about job offer. I arrived UK in Sep, 2009. Not sure, if it is new rule. I travel out of UK a lot and every time I reach here the immigration ask me which company you work for.

wire
Newly Registered

Post by wire » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:51 pm

gd_Shepherd wrote:
Do they really do that?
With the kind of numbers flowing out to different countries on different Visas on any given day, I guess the best way to do their duty is to ascertain the cause of visit by asking questions and to get convinced. I fully empathize with them.

Shepherd
Agreed! I was asked quite a few questions during my first trip here like my job search plan, interviews scheduled, previous company in India, country in which visa was stamped..etc.

But the point is they cannot stop you from entering the country.

wire
Newly Registered

Post by wire » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:58 pm

nks wrote:Could some address my original query please..Reading or London?
I would definately go for London. Chances of your interviews scheduled in London are more. Every company has a branch in Central London.

Though a lot of asians live in Croydon, i find some areas in Croydon really nice and peaceful. It is only 15 mins travel by train/tube to Central London and relatively cheaper.

You may consider living here if your destination is London.

nks

Post by nks » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:44 pm

like this commnet : "Though a lot of asians live in Croydon, i find some areas in Croydon really nice and peaceful" :)

Thnkyou all for suggestions . London it is then...

aspirant99
Member of Standing

Post by aspirant99 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:37 pm

nks wrote:
Thnkyou all for suggestions . London it is then...
Yes sir..& all the best!!

wunder
Member of Standing

Post by wunder » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:28 am

wire wrote:It is only 15 mins travel by train/tube to Central London and relatively cheaper.
There is no Tube in Croydon :wink:

prisat
Member of Standing

Post by prisat » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:02 am

gd_Shepherd wrote:
Do they really do that?

Shepherd
That is the issue of Immigration and VISA Issuing Law makers. WHy would a officer at the AIrport counter ask stupid questions. I have a valid visa and that is the reason they have categorised VISAS.

It is like i get a rubbish ticket to a big theatre and at the entrance of a theatre, i see a security guy asking me, do you know some body inside the theatre or do you have a seat inside the theatre to sit and watch the rubbish.

LOoKs Stupid !!!!!!!!!
Disclaimer :

I am not from a law firm or an attorney who provide Consultation for Immigration to UK.
Information that i provide is not the same as legal advice or legal advises. Use the message (s) and information at your own risk.

wire
Newly Registered

Post by wire » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:35 am

wunder wrote:
wire wrote:It is only 15 mins travel by train/tube to Central London and relatively cheaper.
There is no Tube in Croydon :wink:
Right! My bad : -)

nm
Member of Standing

Post by nm » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:36 pm

Hi,

Any one tell me the cost of living of Central London.?

aspirant99
Member of Standing

Post by aspirant99 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:45 pm

nm wrote:Hi,

Any one tell me the cost of living of Central London.?
The question is very subjective as it all depends on the kind of place you wanna stay, u single or living with a family, luxurious/non luxurios habits etc etc..so no one might be able to give you a specific answer but for starters it can be somewhere between 800--1200 for a single person...or maybe more..but a very less chance of it being less!!

nm
Member of Standing

Post by nm » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:55 pm

aspirant99 wrote:
starters it can be somewhere between 800--1200 for a single person...or maybe more..but a very less chance of it being less!!
Thanks for replying, is the 800-1200 includes all the expenses or its only the House Rent+Utility Bills.?

aspirant99
Member of Standing

Post by aspirant99 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:10 pm

nm wrote:
aspirant99 wrote:
starters it can be somewhere between 800--1200 for a single person...or maybe more..but a very less chance of it being less!!
Thanks for replying, is the 800-1200 includes all the expenses or its only the House Rent+Utility Bills.?
300 odd for other expenses....600--900 odd for house rent n utility bills..so in all 900-1200...please mind this can be more depending on the areas that you chose to live in and the lifestyle tht u want for urself..

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:58 pm

Living in London?
Well, if you want to live in a place where you dont have to worry about being mugged or stabbed after 9pm - then 1BR appartments cost not less than £900 to £1100 - and even then you have to worry!!!
Utility bills like council tax and other bills top out at £200 - so a min of £1300 to live in a nice comfy place in Central London. You can always live 30mins out of London accessible by train and get a lot more for a lot lesser and only spend on travel when you have an interview.

All in all, living in a *decent* place in Central London without personal expenses will be at a min of £1500 for a 1BR all costs inclusive. Add to that food, clothing and luxuries and it mounts up.
Once you get a job, the best would be to live just outside London and travel 30-45mins to work by train - you get a lot more for your hard earned money if you are ready to spend 45mins travelling, not to forget a nice lifestyle and real value for a rented appt.

All the best
KP

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:05 am

kenfrapin wrote:Living in London?
Well, if you want to live in a place where you dont have to worry about being mugged or stabbed after 9pm - then 1BR appartments cost not less than £900 to £1100 - and even then you have to worry!!!
Utility bills like council tax and other bills top out at £200 - so a min of £1300 to live in a nice comfy place in Central London. You can always live 30mins out of London accessible by train and get a lot more for a lot lesser and only spend on travel when you have an interview.

All in all, living in a *decent* place in Central London without personal expenses will be at a min of £1500 for a 1BR all costs inclusive. Add to that food, clothing and luxuries and it mounts up.
Once you get a job, the best would be to live just outside London and travel 30-45mins to work by train - you get a lot more for your hard earned money if you are ready to spend 45mins travelling, not to forget a nice lifestyle and real value for a rented appt.

All the best
KP
Don't forget gas, I live a big place, my Xmas quarter gas bill was 900 quid, and the guy opposite in the one-bed got a bill for 600 quid, and gas is cheap compared to leccy.....

I've budgetted 2k a month for rent/power/council tax, like I say I have a big place, big family, but then again I live and work in the North....

Bloody water bill is 100 quid a month....

This country is USA Mk2, charge, charge, charge, pay, pay, pay....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

wunder
Member of Standing

Post by wunder » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:59 pm

Wanderer wrote:This country is USA Mk2, charge, charge, charge, pay, pay, pay....
There is no green grass in any other country too - it is a mistake to think that there is some magical place where you will be well paid with no taxes and good quality of living :wink:

And unlike US, in UK you have culture, cuisine, decent public transport, better climate, Europe, and cheap flights to a shitload of beaches :D

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:37 pm

wunder wrote: And unlike US, in UK you have culture, cuisine, decent public transport, better climate, Europe, and cheap flights to a shitload of beaches :D
Ha...ha...ha - great way to end my evening. So very rightly said Wunder - the UK still has a lot of advantages and hold the ACES compared to so many other parts of the world

KP

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:49 pm

wunder wrote:
Wanderer wrote:This country is USA Mk2, charge, charge, charge, pay, pay, pay....
There is no green grass in any other country too - it is a mistake to think that there is some magical place where you will be well paid with no taxes and good quality of living :wink:

And unlike US, in UK you have culture, cuisine, decent public transport, better climate, Europe, and cheap flights to a shitload of beaches :D
Switzerland! It's my Dream Turnip!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....