ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What kind of account must the maintenance funds be in?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mia777

What kind of account must the maintenance funds be in?

Post by mia777 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:52 pm

Hi all. I am applying for my visa and my parents are paying for my graduate school term and proving maintenance.

The guidance says no financial instruments. Both of my parents only have money in a savings account invested in a money market fund. This is listed as cash on the bank statement though the details tell you that it's in a money market fund.

Both of my parents seem to think it's crazy that money market accounts don't "count" as cash.

Can anyone help clarify this for me?

Thanks,
Last edited by noajthan on Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed personal details

mia777

Post by mia777 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:49 pm

I'd also like to add that you can still write checks from the account... the money is very liquid, even more so than a savings account.

bb21

Post by bb21 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:47 am

I guess the reason they don't allow it is that it is an investment and any investment can lose its value, sometimes drastically, over time. If UKBA can figure out the details from the documents you provide then it's a no no for me. It doesn't matter how the account can be operated but the nature of the account that is of concern. Remember UKBA works off "a script" most of the time and sometimes might not appear very reasonable. I say put it into a savings or current account for your piece of mind.