ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

WIFE WANT TO CHANGE NATIONALITY FROM POLISH TO IRISH

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

MYSPACE
Newly Registered

WIFE WANT TO CHANGE NATIONALITY FROM POLISH TO IRISH

Post by MYSPACE » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:19 pm

Hi guys, i'm a non eu spouse of eu national, my wife is polish living and working in Ireland 4 the past 5 years and our daughter 6month, hold an Irish passport . I currently hold stamp 4eufam till 2013. my wife want to naturalized to become an Irish passport holder.
How will this affect my permit after my current one expire?
Can i still apply for naturalization after my 5 years expire and if yes on what basis? EU or IRISH spouse?
if her application become successful, was gonna be my status? i my gonna stay another 3 years after she became an Irish citizen b4 i can apply for citizenship or is gonna be part of my current 5years 4eufam?

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:53 pm

First part No. Even if she gets Irish Citizenship, she is still in fact and in law also a Polish national. She does not loose it. SHe would have a right to live here on two counts (a) as an Irish Citizen (b) as a Polish citizen exercising her eu rights. you can still rely on her polish citizenship and even seek to live here on basis of marriage to an irish citizen, which ever is more helpful However, she will be waiting for at least 1 and half years for a decision. so, as long as you are living together, relax. Conclusion, better off renewing your current status on that basis. EIther way really

as for you applying for citizenship, of course you can apply after 5 years. You applying simply on the basis of you having lived here on either a stamp 1, 3 or 4 (whichever kind) for that period. There is no real distinction and it does not depend on her becoming Irish. its was it said your your passport . If she was an irish citizen now and you were married to her for 3 years whilst she was a citizen, you would not have to wait the 5 years. But, this is not relevant to the facts of your case. So once you meet the the 5 years, and meet the other citizenship criteria, apply for citizenship

does poland allow dual nationality?

MYSPACE
Newly Registered

Post by MYSPACE » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:55 am

That the problem, Poland does not allow dual citizenship..she automatically going to be Irish if her application goes through..

can i then apply for citizenship base on marriage to Irish wife?
does my 5 years with 4eufam count or i have to spend another 3 years on marriage to Irish b4 i can apply for citizenship?

achosa
Newly Registered

Post by achosa » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:37 pm

MYSPACE wrote:That the problem, Poland does not allow dual citizenship..she automatically going to be Irish if her application goes through..
She can have two passport - she just cant use irish passport in Poland - that's all
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_nationality_law :
Polish law does not deal with the issue of dual citizenship. Therefore Poland will view a dual citizen as if he or she was solely Polish. Thus, Poland does not recognize the foreign citizenship of its nationals when they are on Polish soil.
Polish law does not explicitly allow dual citizenship, but possession of another citizenship is tolerated as there are no penalties for its possession alone[6]. However, penalties do exist for exercising foreign citizenship, such as identifying oneself to Polish authorities using a foreign identification document or serving in a foreign military without permission of Polish military authorities.