ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Surname issue on passport – UK Student visa application

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

thomas_mathew23
Newly Registered

Surname issue on passport – UK Student visa application

Post by thomas_mathew23 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:55 pm

In my passport my name is mentioned as -
Given Names: Thomas Mathew George
Surname : (Not mentioned)

The surname - Maliyakal is not mentioned in passport

My name mentioned in the Admission letter and CAS is as per passport - Thomas Mathew George (without Surname).

But in my scholarship letter my name mentioned is Mr. T M G Maliyakal

I have only 20 days left and I will not be able to get a new scholarship letter on time.

Kindly suggest document(s) that I can use to prove that Mr. T M G Maliyakal is my name itself.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:20 am

Shouldn't your passport contain your surname?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

thomas_mathew23
Newly Registered

Post by thomas_mathew23 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:29 pm

vinny wrote:Shouldn't your passport contain your surname?
My passport doesn't have my surname mentioned in it. That's the problem. Please advise

bb21

Post by bb21 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:22 am

I'm struggling to understand how this situation arose. If you had your passport ages ago why did you not correct it? Now the only option left for you is to get either documents corrected in time. You might be able to get your passport reissued at your country's embassy using their express service or you could probably get the scholarship letter reissued as a matter of urgency if you explain your situation to your college. Surely if they offered you a scholarship then they value your contribution as a student so I'd think that they'd do all they can to help you. You can submit the scholarship letter a few days later as additional documents provided that it is only a FEW days later.Are you applying in-country or are you applying from your home country?

Otherwise I'm sorry to say that it was a very costly mistake.

kindofblue
Newly Registered

Post by kindofblue » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:49 pm

bb21 wrote:you could probably get the scholarship letter reissued as a matter of urgency if you explain your situation to your college. Surely if they offered you a scholarship then they value your contribution as a student so I'd think that they'd do all they can to help you. You can submit the scholarship letter a few days later as additional documents provided that it is only a FEW days later..
I have the same problem and I asked my school to mention only my first name consistently on the CAS and the scholarship letter.

You could do what bb21 is saying and beg the university to courier your new scholarship letter. OR you could risk it - and in the visa application form, at the end of the form, look for the section where you can add notes for the Visa officer. In those notes, make a good attempt to clarify your predicament. This seems to be a common problem so they might be sympathetic.