ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HSMP+STUDENT+PSW+HSMP

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

gujars
Newly Registered

HSMP+STUDENT+PSW+HSMP

Post by gujars » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:25 pm

Hi,

I got my HSMP in August 2007 and Came to UK Aug 2008 (with a delay of one year). I did a job from August 2008 to August 2009. Then i switched to Student visa in Sept 2009 and have recently finished my Masters. I have PSW with me and looking for Jobs now. I wanted to know once i find a job will i have to convert my PSW into Tier one or can i apply for HSMP extension (as I had HSMP for 2 years which got expired a little before i started my MS). Also do my one year of work from August 2008 to August 2009 will be counted towards my ILR period of 5 years or not? I just want to know have my 1 year time spent on HSMP before student visa has gone wasted or I can still add that time towards 5 year period required for ILR?

I know PSW period and student period doesnt count towards ILR period of 5 year but what about my 1 full year spent in Uk on HSMP. I hope its not wasted else I have to start my 5 years of ILR counter once again. Any one who knows the concerete answer please reply.

Regards
Gujar

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:43 pm

gujars wrote:Hi,

I got my HSMP in August 2007 and Came to UK Aug 2008 (with a delay of one year). I did a job from August 2008 to August 2009. Then i switched to Student visa in Sept 2009 and have recently finished my Masters. I have PSW with me and looking for Jobs now. I wanted to know once i find a job will i have to convert my PSW into Tier one or can i apply for HSMP extension (as I had HSMP for 2 years which got expired a little before i started my MS). Also do my one year of work from August 2008 to August 2009 will be counted towards my ILR period of 5 years or not? I just want to know have my 1 year time spent on HSMP before student visa has gone wasted or I can still add that time towards 5 year period required for ILR?

I know PSW period and student period doesnt count towards ILR period of 5 year but what about my 1 full year spent in Uk on HSMP. I hope its not wasted else I have to start my 5 years of ILR counter once again. Any one who knows the concerete answer please reply.

Regards
Gujar
Your ILR was reset when you changed from HSMP to student, and is currently set to zero - if your aim is to apply for settlement through the economic migrant route (5years)!

However, your stay in the UK since August 2008 (HSMP + student + PSW) may be used for settlement under the long residence category - but you will have to wait and remain in the UK until August 2018 to apply (assuming this category isn't scrapped by then).

You may switch from Tier 1 (PSW) to Tier 1 (General) as and when you qualify. And, you cannot apply for extension in an immigration category that you do not currently hold!!

regards
Last edited by geriatrix on Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:50 am

sushdmehta wrote:Your ILR was reset when you changed from HSMP to student, and is currently set to zero - if your aim is to apply for settlement through the economic migrant route (5years)!

However, your stay in the UK since August 2008 (HSMP + student + PSW) may be used for settlement under the long residence category - but you will have to wait and remain in the UK until August 2018 to apply (assuming this category isn't scrapped by then).

You may switch from Tier 1 (PSW) to Tier 1 (General) as and when you qualify. And, you cannot apply for extension in an immigration category that you do not currently hold!!

regards
Perfect Answer!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

bb21

Post by bb21 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:20 am

Wanderer wrote:Perfect Answer!
Answers one of my totally unrelated queries too. Perfect answer indeed. :lol: