ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Marriage in the uk but not for visa?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

MrWolf
Newly Registered

Marriage in the uk but not for visa?

Post by MrWolf » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:11 pm

Hi,

My fiancée and I are wanting to get married here in Northern Ireland.

I am a British citizen and she is American.

She is here on a 6 month travel visa and we both intend to leave at the end of that period and move to Santiago Chile where I will have a job waiting for me.

We are not getting married here in the U.K. for the purposes of getting permanent visa for her or anything like that. We wish to do so simply because it is faster and cheaper than any other option.

When she entered the U.K. the immigration service told her that she couldn't get married here and a stamp was put on her passport saying "No work or recourse to public funds"

I assume that the immigration meant that she could not get married in order to get a visa or to get access to benefits etc.

However I would like to know if the immigration service has the authority to stop us getting married if we are not intending to change her visa status or claim public funds.

Can anyone tell me if this is possible?

Thanks.

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Re: Marriage in the uk but not for visa?

Post by ElenaW » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:24 pm

She can still apply for a COA but they take a long time. How long does she have left?

alikhan28
BANNED

Post by alikhan28 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:44 pm

MrWolf wrote:Hi,

My fiancée and I are wanting to get married here in Northern Ireland.

I am a British citizen and she is American.

She is here on a 6 month travel visa and we both intend to leave at the end of that period and move to Santiago Chile where I will have a job waiting for me.

We are not getting married here in the U.K. for the purposes of getting permanent visa for her or anything like that. We wish to do so simply because it is faster and cheaper than any other option.

When she entered the U.K. the immigration service told her that she couldn't get married here and a stamp was put on her passport saying "No work or recourse to public funds"

I assume that the immigration meant that she could not get married in order to get a visa or to get access to benefits etc.

However I would like to know if the immigration service has the authority to stop us getting married if we are not intending to change her visa status or claim public funds.

Can anyone tell me if this is possible?

Thanks.
The problem is he can not switch from visit visa to spouse visa in UK.So best thing would be to get married oversea and apply for spouse visa without any problem.Visa Processing times for USA are great(few days).

COA are taking a long time so forget it.

Ali

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:02 pm

alikhan28 wrote:
The problem is he can not switch from visit visa to spouse visa in UK.So best thing would be to get married oversea and apply for spouse visa without any problem.Visa Processing times for USA are great(few days).

COA are taking a long time so forget it.

Ali
They don't want her to switch to a spousal. They want to go to a different country. So uk is just where they're getting married and nothing more. But I agree, if she doesn't get the COA in time then they would have to go to probably the US to get married.

Mr. wolf, have you thought about going to the us to marry? It's legal to do so on the visa waiver. No need for any visas.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:32 am

I don't know if you can / cannot (excuse my ignorance as I'm not a Christian) but if you can marry at an Anglican Church in England or Wales, after marriage banns or an ecclesiastical licence, then a CoA is not required.

regards

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:40 am

sushdmehta wrote:I don't know if you can / cannot (excuse my ignorance as I'm not a Christian) but if you can marry at an Anglican Church in England or Wales, after marriage banns or an ecclesiastical licence, then a CoA is not required.

regards
Alternatively, as you're in Northern Ireland, you might consider whether you could easily meet the requirements for a marriage in the Republic:-

http://www.irelandnow.com/marriage.html