ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

mother has no birth certificate for me to submit

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

m4nn
Newly Registered

mother has no birth certificate for me to submit

Post by m4nn » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:33 pm

on behalf of someone else....

Sent: Sunday, August 15, 2010 10:50 AM
To: consular@bcg.org.hk
Subject: First British Passport

hello there , if you could, could you clarify an issue regarding applying for a first time british passport in Hong Kong please?.

ok, after previously being a BNO passport holder, if i now hold newly british citizenship / naturalisation certificate, and although i would be applying, it states on your consulate website that you would ( if born in HK after 1983 ) need to provide your mother's full birth certificate - or your father's full birth certificate including his marriage certificate.

see these-

Born after 1 January 1983 outside the UK
If you were born after 1 January 1983 outside the UK you must provide:

your full foreign birth certificate and
a photocopy of your current ID or your previous travel document and
your mother’s full UK birth certificate or
your father’s birth certificate and marriage certificate

http://ukinhongkong.fco.gov.uk/en/help- ... -documents

now, the thing is, when my mother was born in pakistan, she was never issued with a birth certificate back then as it was not really something the government were really bothered with, therefore many were born with just two photo's signed by a solicitor or teacher etc along with a thumbprint. no paperwork.

she then moved & lived in hong kong for some many years, and was issued with a BNO passport.

she had acquired a british passport around the 1997 handover time and was given a british nationality certificate then thus, losing her BNO nationality.

my father left her some time after this and went back to pakistan, divorced.

my father does not wish to know us and he does not have contact with us or to help with giving us his birth or marriage certificate for sure.

without all this, the question is now, could i use my mothers british nationality certificate as proof as like her birth certificate as this is all I have.
would this be fine enough?.

i have my own HK birth certificate and HKID.
my mother also has HKID.

i have everything else, just not any of my parent's birth certificates.

i am trying to make sure i can provide whatever i can to apply for my first british passport correctly.

please advise.

thank you most kindly for your time in this matter.

__________________________________________________ _______________

the consulate reply lol was ...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Consular Section <consular@britishconsulate.org.hk>
Date: 16 August 2010 03:40
Subject: RE: First British Passport
To:

Please note that all passport enquiries are now handled by Careline Services Limited through their Passport Information Helpline. If you have a passport enquiry, which cannot be answered through the information on our website (ukinhongkong.fco.gov.uk), please contact Careline on: +44 208 0824744.

Please ensure that you have you credit card details ready before calling. Calls are charged at 69 pence per minute + VAT. Telephone service providers will also charge for the cost of the international call, so you may like to check your provider's tariff.

__________________________________________________ ___________

so, would anyone know if a british nationality certificate will suffice ?.

& lastly, this is correct right? - she was born in 1986 in HK so this applies to her right? >

Born after 1 January 1983 outside the UK
If you were born after 1 January 1983 outside the UK you must provide:

your full foreign birth certificate and
a photocopy of your current ID or your previous travel document and
your mother’s full UK birth certificate or
your father’s birth certificate and marriage certificate

she will be visiting the british consulate in HK to try and ask and i will also be calling careline over here in the UK to see what they say.

many thanks everyone for reading.