ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish Medical Card

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

wizardland

Irish Medical Card

Post by wizardland » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:36 pm

Hi all,

need some advice here.

The situation is:
My father in law is Irish, my mother in law is British. My father in law went to England, worked and lived there for over 50 yrs. Both my in laws came to Ireland to retire 3.5 years ago. My father in law went to smthg like health office, filled out forms for medical card months ago but he's not heard anything back. he was told by the officer that under eu regulation, they r entitled to the medical card and the one card should cover both him and my mother in law.

Meanwhile my mother in law had a tragic mini stroke few months ago, had to be taken to hospital, stayed for few days, she still has ongoing checkups and treatment and just last week she had a heart treatment. She just received a bill from the hospital for that treatment. She called the hospital telling them that they should claim the bill to the NHS but the hospital said that they can only do that for 3 months and 3 months has passed since her mini stroke.

My mother in law keeps her British passport, does not possess an Irish passport, has PPS number.
My father in law is 72, my mother in law is 66.

Now my questions are:
1.dont the NHS cover your medical bill wherever u live (for as long as u're British)?
2. can anyone give me anything, any law on NHS stating that they dont cover ur medical bill unless they reside in UK? while im looking as well.
3. how long does it take for the medical card to be processed?
4. As my father in law was told by the officer that under eu regulation, they r entitled to the medical card, especially my father in law a he is irish and over 70. is there a law stating this? kindly share.

thx so much. they r desperate for answers.

sideshowsue

Post by sideshowsue » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:33 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about your MiL's poor health. It must be quite a shock. I do hope she is on the mend.

I'm not very knowledgeable about the entitlement to medical cards but citizensinformation.ie does seem to have a fairly comprehensive breakdown about it. See here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categ ... dical_card

I'd suggest contacting Citizens' Information if you need further details or clarification. I'd also suggest you post on the State Benefits forum on boards.ie http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=861 For this crowd really seem to know their stuff and seem to know the ins and outs of the system and whom to talk in order to shake sense into the HSE and SW.

Good luck.

wizardland

Post by wizardland » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:50 pm

sideshowsue wrote:I'm so sorry to hear about your MiL's poor health. It must be quite a shock. I do hope she is on the mend.

I'm not very knowledgeable about the entitlement to medical cards but citizensinformation.ie does seem to have a fairly comprehensive breakdown about it. See here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categ ... dical_card

I'd suggest contacting Citizens' Information if you need further details or clarification. I'd also suggest you post on the State Benefits forum on boards.ie http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=861 For this crowd really seem to know their stuff and seem to know the ins and outs of the system and whom to talk in order to shake sense into the HSE and SW.

Good luck.
thanks for ur immediate reply sideshowsue. i ph the head office, they said the application is pending because of incomplete docs. well, they have submitted all docs to branch office, but branch office never sent it to head office. what a government.

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:48 pm

to answer your questions
1) You can repeat this question on the UK Boards, but my understanding is no, they will not pay, as your in-laws are not ordinarily resident in the UK. NHS cover is for UK residents.
2) I think you'll find it easier to find the opposite information, i.e. when the NHS pays for your cover. I'd imagine they have rules on residency which would cover this.
3) Applications can take 2 weeks + depending on case and assessor
4) Over 70's may be entitled to a medical card but this is not automatic. Read more here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categ ... dical_card

Best of luck with this!

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:57 am

have a word with your local friendly neighburhood TD :lol:

Vikingdub
Newly Registered

Post by Vikingdub » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:00 pm

Is she in receipt of a pension? If so, from where?