ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What a Joke

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

waxonline89
Newly Registered

What a Joke

Post by waxonline89 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:43 pm

I sat the test today and all I have to say is what a good laugh it was. I borrowd the book from someone a few hours before the test and went over it once aiming for maximum marks. I finished in 2 and a half minutes and walked out with my pass certificate, but the gits never told me my marks. The only reason I read the book was to get zero wrong.

For anyone taking the test dont worry, lol, read the book once and as long as you have been living in the UK for two years you should automatically know everything.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: What a Joke

Post by Wanderer » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:54 pm

waxonline89 wrote:I sat the test today and all I have to say is what a good laugh it was. I borrowd the book from someone a few hours before the test and went over it once aiming for maximum marks. I finished in 2 and a half minutes and walked out with my pass certificate, but the gits never told me my marks. The only reason I read the book was to get zero wrong.

For anyone taking the test dont worry, lol, read the book once and as long as you have been living in the UK for two years you should automatically know everything.
We do it all the time at work with the obligatory Health and Safety, OFthis, OFthat tests that take up to 90 mins - straight to the quiz and take an educated guess - you have to be one dumb fuker to fail....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:28 am

waxonline89 wrote:I sat the test today and all I have to say is what a good laugh it was. I borrowd the book from someone a few hours before the test and went over it once aiming for maximum marks. I finished in 2 and a half minutes and walked out with my pass certificate, but the gits never told me my marks. The only reason I read the book was to get zero wrong.

Seriously its a waste of time. Agreed.

Why exactly did you care about getting zero wrong? lol

*FC*
Member of Standing

Post by *FC* » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:42 am

And what test is it? :roll:

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:55 am

*FC* wrote:

And what test is it? :roll:
Life in the uk.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:08 am

We all know (without googling) what a Quango is, and what percentage of ethnic minorities live in London....don't we?? :shock:
Wow...24 questions in 150 seconds including the time taken to read through the multiple choices with no previous study.
Now that's quick! Reminds me of the film 'Rain Man'. :wink:

Kitty

Post by Kitty » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:37 am

Casa wrote:Reminds me of the film 'Rain Man'. :wink:
I really really hope that the answer to one of their questions is "Qantas never crash".

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing

Post by kiwigirl25 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:20 pm

Wow! That's amazing. I've lived here 17 years, apart from the common sense everyday stuff, I didn't know half the information they expected us to know prior to sitting the test. Even my British born friends were aghast at the information in the official book. After studying it took me 10-15 minutes to complete, including pre-test reading. Was out of there after an hour because we had to wait for everyone to finish.

I understand where the Government are coming from when they implemented this test but I think they went the wrong way about it. They want people to integrate into British society and learn the language before claiming settlement or citizenship. Therefore the test should be on everyday normal life and interviewing a person will determine their level of English.

Coming from country where English is the official language I was insulted that they wanted proof I could understand the language. If I failed the test would they requested I take ESOL courses - though it would be an opportunity to be top of the class for once in my life? However I didn't mind being tested on my knowledge of British society.

Also everybody who is applying for settlement should have to sit the test. Why should someone that has been here for only 4 years (HSMP) be exempt whereas I, who has been here 17 years, have to sit it!?! Where do they think I've been during that time, living in a remote cave in the Shetlands? :lol:

A little common sense is all that is needed to be apply to such a policy. Look to exempt those nationals born in countries whereby English is the first language from ESOL clauses in the policy. Rewrite the test so it reflects common sense information that everyone needs to know in order to get by. Everyone no matter who you are, qualifications, profession... etc should sit it. Find a better way to test people's understanding of the English language, like complusory interviews.