ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Council Tax problem help me please

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

andro11
Newly Registered

Council Tax problem help me please

Post by andro11 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:19 pm

Hi there

I have a problem and I am new to this forum, if somebody can advise me I would be grateful

5 years ago I lived in a couple of shared houses with mixed students and full time emplyed people between june 2005 and Feb 2006 and never paid council tax because I did not know anything about this tax and did not recieve any bills to ask me to pay since that i moved to houses where all the bills were included in my rent

now i realize that I was suppose to pay this tax but I did not, I did not recieve any bills or contacted by anybody regarding this, last year i got my ILR and there was no problem at all

when i start to read about the naturalization process i realised that this would be a problem

my question are

1- is it too late to contact the council office and arrange to pay whatever they will charge me, I do not mind to pay any money just for my mind to stop thinking about this, I am not able to sleep because of that mistake

2- are they going to make a problem for me?

3- is it going to affect my naturalization application in the future?

I would really appreciate if anyone could advise me

I entered uk as WP also I was part time student during this period

thanks a lot

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing

Post by kiwigirl25 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:53 pm

I wouldn't worry about it. Council tax is per household not per person. So it could be that the landlord paid the council tax of the property.

However full-time students are exempt from council tax subject to certain conditions:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAn ... /DG_071488

Though in your circumstance I think it was included in the rent. I was a landlord and couldn't get away without paying council tax on the property (I risked possession) therefore opted to pay it myself rather that leave it up to the tenants. If the landlord lied and said it was a house full of students, his problem not yours as the property is registered in his name.

You can breathe and relax now :D

andro11
Newly Registered

Post by andro11 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:08 pm

Thank you very much kiwigirl for your prompt reply,

your reply relifed me a lot but also one more question please

what if the landlord did not pay it and declare it as occupied mainly by students? would this cause any problem for me,

the problem is that I can not find my tenancy agreement to check what was written on it and I am scared to contact the council office to check it, I do not mind to pay any money but not to have a bad surprise at th naturalisation process, thank you very much

andro11
Newly Registered

Post by andro11 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:13 pm

igore my last question

what if the landlord did not pay it and declare it as occupied mainly by students? would this cause any problem for me,

as I saw you replied this question already

thank you very much

andro11
Newly Registered

Post by andro11 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:04 am

Hi kiwigirl25

One more clarfication please,

For the HO do they check the council tax for houses within the last 5 years only or in all the houses I have lived in since I came to the UK, I ask this question because the I problem I mentioned before for the houses council tax was before the 5 years

thank you very much