ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Canadian Immigration with Police Caution

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

slugmeister
BANNED
Mood:
United Kingdom

Canadian Immigration with Police Caution

Post by slugmeister » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:28 am

Hi, I live in the UK. I'm American. My boyfriend is British.

My boyfriend was recently arrested for assaulting me in a domestic dispute. He admitted his guilt and received a police caution.

I don't know if we're going to stay together as a couple, as we have many issues to resolve, specifically regarding my assault. I am fine, physically. No visible bruises. For the most part I was scared sh**less rather than actually harmed.

If we do stay together, our long-term plans were to emigrate to Canada. We were thinking about doing that in 2-3 years after we get married.

Does his police caution make him inadmissible for permanent residency?

If anyone could shed some light on this I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Ana

Obalende

Post by Obalende » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:21 am

im no expert in this area but i believe fina lwarning carries more weight than a caution. MIGHT be a barrier but probability in my opinion is low and should not hinder you from applying. for more info, i believe there is a section on cic website.

lilshyone
Newly Registered

Post by lilshyone » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:57 am

Strange idea to emigrate with such a partner. Wouldn't want to move to another country with no one to rely on but a person I'm afraid of...

Maxies
Newly Registered

Post by Maxies » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:05 am

Hi slugmeister,

Before being granted a PR status, the Canadian embassy will ask you many document, among one is the British Police certificate of both of you and an American one for you. If the police caution is mentioned on that document for your boyfriend, it may not only prevent him from immigrating, but even visiting Canada as this information will put be accessible to any Canadian officer at all borders.

Why ? Canadian immigration officers will compare the gravity of your boyfriend's action towards the Canadian law even though he was not charged. It seems that the maximum sentence for domestic assault is 5 years in jail. It's a serious offense.

They may refuse his application because of this or accept it or decide to interview him to see how he has changed. He has to convince them that he will not do that or any other crime in Canada and be honest with the immigration officer (it's very important not to lie or hide key information voluntarily).

Chances are probably 50/50. If I were you, I would definitely give it a try. Actually, it may be easier for him to immigrate to the USA since you're American.

In the meantime, I suggest you to contact Canadian immigration representatives at the Embassy for further details.