ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA national applying British citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

tzo
Newly Registered

EEA national applying British citizenship

Post by tzo » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:32 pm

We do have a very funny case my wife is Italian and I’m British I’m thinking what is going to be the best route to apply for my wife to be a British.

She has been living in UK for 9 years however there are some few years gap she wasn’t working due to the fact I was in the armed forces and I spend almost 3 years away from home e.g Iraq Afghan Canada and even when the fire fighter was on strike bless her she just couldn’t handle it, me being away and her having a full time job and looking after our girl.

Another pain is I was leaving in Military quarter and everything was on my name, my question is how can we prove her eea treaty right does she need to apply for PR before applying for British Citizen

Kind Regards

taliska

Re: EEA national applying British citizenship

Post by taliska » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:50 pm

tzo wrote:We do have a very funny case my wife is Italian and I’m British I’m thinking what is going to be the best route to apply for my wife to be a British.

She has been living in UK for 9 years however there are some few years gap she wasn’t working due to the fact I was in the armed forces and I spend almost 3 years away from home e.g Iraq Afghan Canada and even when the fire fighter was on strike bless her she just couldn’t handle it, me being away and her having a full time job and looking after our girl.

Another pain is I was leaving in Military quarter and everything was on my name, my question is how can we prove her eea treaty right does she need to apply for PR before applying for British Citizen

Kind Regards
Is she planning to apply as spouse of a british citizen or based on residence here as an EU citizen?

taliska

Post by taliska » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:58 pm

This may help taken from the UKBA website
European Economic Area nationals and Swiss nationals
If you are a national of a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, or you are the family member of such a person, you will automatically have permanent residence status if you have exercised EEA free-movement rights in the UK for a continuous five-year period ending on or after 30 April 2006. You do not need to apply for leave to remain. You should have held permanent residence status for 12 months before you apply for naturalisation.

If you have been outside the UK for six months or more in any one of the five years of the residence period, you will have broken your residence. This does not apply if:

â– the absence was due to military service; or
â– all absences were for under 12 months and were for important reasons such as pregnancy, childcare, serious illness, study, vocational training or an overseas posting.
If you leave the UK for a continuous period of two years or more, you will lose your permanent residence status.

If you have indefinite leave to remain (ILR) in the UK, you will be considered to be settled here provided that you have not been away for two years or more since you received ILR.
so if she doesn't meet the treaty rights through work then i guess she may have to apply as spouse of a British national
The standard requirements can be found with this link:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... uirements/
This is the link for spouse of a british citizen requirements:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... ofcitizen/