ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for Spouse Visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

charikaar
Newly Registered

Applying for Spouse Visa

Post by charikaar » Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:14 pm

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could you please give me legal advice about my case.

I am planning to get married in Feb06 and would like to lodge spouce visa application at the same time. We will not be able to use the Visa until mid july06(i.e we will not travel until mid july). I understand Spouce visas are valid for two years.Does this also mean that you can travel anytime during the two years of its validality? or Is there a date you must travel?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Charikaar

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:38 pm

You need to plan ahead to avoid a problem at the end of the two-year spouse visa. That is, near the end of those two years your wife will want to apply for ILR. But if she does not come to the UK near the beginning of the two year period that might cause a problem.

But there is something that can help. The start date of the spouse visa can be deferred by a maximum of three months. But your wife (as she will be) will need to request such a deferment otherwise the start date of the EC will be the date of issue.

You do not state in which country the application for the spouse visa will be made. Can you tell us? I ask because in some countries there is a noticeable delay in getting an interview for a spouse visa interview, so it is possible the point you ask about might be academic.
John

charikaar
Newly Registered

Post by charikaar » Sun Dec 25, 2005 5:58 pm

Thanks for your reply.

Visa application will be made at the UK Embassy in Pakistan.

Thanks

charikaar

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Dec 25, 2005 8:49 pm

OK, Pakistan, unless anyone reading this already knows the answer you will need to contact the relevant BHC and ask about the delay in processing a spouse visa application.
John

bash_h

Post by bash_h » Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:51 pm

The delay to get a spouse visa is about 14 weeks, so I think if you apply in Feb06, and ask for the travel date to be in July '06 then you should be ok.

Make sure all your documents are in order! A lot of people who applied in ISlamabad have reported on here (and I have otherwise heard) that ECO's are making some unsatisfactory decisions, but usually (I) find that people dont really explain themselves very well in the application.

Remember to put in ALL your paperwork, the more the better (relevent of course) and remember to put in all the relevent peices of info in the application.

Since Islamabad doesnt conduct spouse visa application interviews, this makes the paperwork even more relevent.
Also try and get most of the paperwork completed and ready here. There are usually people hanging outside Fedex in Islamabad (the chosen courier by the BHC) that offer to 'expediate' your application.

Oh, and remember to get there EARLY! If possible, bring your wife with you and get her to submit the application at Fedex (the line for ladies is much much shorter and civilised than men)

Good Luck

charikaar
Newly Registered

Post by charikaar » Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:55 pm

Thanks for your replies. Your help is much appreciated.

Charikaar