ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HELP for irish citizenship by naturalisation (for worker)

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mktsoi
Member of Standing

HELP for irish citizenship by naturalisation (for worker)

Post by mktsoi » Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:18 am

does anyone knows how the irish citizenship by naturalisation works? i took a look at the forms from www.justice.ie. i know if a person wants to naturalisaed as an irish citizen has to be living in ireland for 5 years at least with the permission to remain from the irish police.

all they asked for in the applcaiton form is the photocopy of the passport(all pages), the certificate of registration with the irish police, the current tax certificate(p60), the previous 3 months bank statements, the previous 3 months payslips and the birth certificate in english.

the department of justice said it will take about 24 months to process it. i was wondering. after i submitted my application, what will happen? the documents they asked in the website seems abit less than i expected. will the department of justice ask me to attend interview. do i have to submit police certificate for the places i have lived before i moved to ireland? will they ask for all my tax certificates........etc.

did anyone ever gone throught this process. can anyone give me some info about this.

thank you.
m

marialear

Post by marialear » Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:12 pm

Welcome to the slow paperwork process of Ireland! Yes, I too will be submitting my Form 5 application papers in the Spring & have been told of the 18-24 month wait as well.

All you need to submit is exactly what you have listed. There is a downloadable check-list on www.justice.ie as well to ensure that you have everything submitted. They will also want proof of your income tax situation - which is that you send in your most recent P60 & ask for a P21 from your local taxation office. I was told that it would only take a few days/weeks. Also, the Gardi will do a background check on you for criminal offences, but that is up to them to organize that, not you. You will need to have 3 references from 3 Irish citizens (not relatives) which is listed on the back pages of the application forms. If you have registered with the police everytime you moved, you should have all the 'leave to remain' stamps in your passport, I guess that's why they ask for all pages of all passports that you have had covering your residence time in Ireland. My advice is to keep everything, every bank statement, payslip, tax certificates, etc, that way whatever they ask for, you will have.

One thing that may be difficult if you have moved around a lot is that they want every address of house/apt that you have lived for the past 9 years, with specific dates. So, I'd advise that you sit down with some paper before you fill out the forms and make your list. I find checking old passports and rent books good for trying to remember when you arrived & left. If there are any gaps in the days/weeks of your residences, you will have to account for them to the Dept, which may cause delays, so I'd get it sorted well in advance.

Once you submit your application with all required photocopied docs, you will get a letter within 15 days from the Dept of Justice stating that they recevied your application & you will be issued with a reference number which you will have to quote on all future telephone & correspondence to the Dept if you have queries. From what I have heard, that is basically it. There is no interview or medical or citizenship test. Just waiting.

As you are aware, you still have to get continued permission from the Gardi to stay in the country while you are waiting for your citizenship to come through, whether it be work permits, work authorizations, etc...and keep your GNIB card in date. Also, notify the Gardi and the Dept of Justice if you move house to keep your address up to date. They also recommend that you notify the Dept if you leave the country for vacation so they will be able to contact you if need be.

Once a decision has been made, you will receive notice through registered mail. If approved, you can apply for an Irish passport soon after. You may have already read that the decision to grant citizenship is totally up to the Minister, so I guess it is possible to have all the requirements and still not be approved....however, I try not to dwell on this possibility. I'm sure that as long as a person is a law-abiding, self-sustaining member of the community, there (hopefully) will be nothing to worry about! :)

Well, that is it (well as far as I know!) let us know how you get on. Good luck!

Regards,
Maria

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:54 pm

hi maria.

thx for the quick reply. well, i know most of the requirements u have mentioned in your last replied. i was wondering. do u know anyone went throught the whole process? my main question is after i submitted the application. actually, i am holding work authorization now. i didnt info the gnib when i moved everytime. so should i go back now and info them where i moved to? also, someone told me that the gnib will ask for all the previous p60 and all the bank statment when they start to process the application. should i submit all the bank statements and p60 with application before they start asking for it. would this save me sometime?

thx
m

marialear

Post by marialear » Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:25 pm

Sorry, I don't know of anyone who has gone through the process either. That's the kind of info I am looking for as well: the real experience of applying for Irish naturalization. I'll let you know if I find out any first-hand details.

I know where I live, the Immigration officers at the Garda station are only there during certain 'office hours' every week & my stamp in my passport is for both Meath and Louth. Maybe if you just changed addresess in the same county it wouldn't matter if you didn't go everytime you changed residences? But don't take this for sure, I'm not certain.

I have kept all my P60s too as well as a cupboard full of bank statements, payslips and tax slips (I keep everything just in case!). I think what I will do is submit just what they specifically ask for at the initial stage. All the applications are probably opened & processed by everyday workers anyway, so it probably wouldn't help if you sent everything all at once. It probably wouldn't have any effect at all actually. Maybe if you provide a cover letter attached to your application staing that you have all you bank statements/payslips/P60s for the past XX month/years should they want to see them rather than bombard them with paperwork?

Maria :)