ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Change to settlement rules imminent?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

bitterweb

Change to settlement rules imminent?

Post by bitterweb » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:22 pm

Just heard Damian Green say that it's not right to have people who initially came here to work for two years ending up settling here permanently.

He also implied that changes would be made in the coming months.

Are they going to change the settlement rules very soon? Could any such changes affect people already here on work permit or tier1?

manenoor
BANNED

Re: Change to settlement rules imminent?

Post by manenoor » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:57 am

Source of this information please?

bitterweb

Post by bitterweb » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:36 am

I heard him say that on BBC Newsnight yesterday though it's not what he said literally (word by word).

Basically as I understand he implied there would be changes to settlement routes.

Of course we will probably have to just take whatever they do retrospectively or not. I'm just worried since I'm only eligible to apply early next year and would like to hear your opinions.

king_kong

Its even online

Post by king_kong » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:42 am

I saw this in telegraph. Just googling will give the news.

dimsav

Re: Its even online

Post by dimsav » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:43 am

It is here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... fifth.html

Mr Green said: “The task facing the new government is to bear down on all routes of immigration. We can now see how necessary our proposed limit on economic immigration is. This will be accompanied by action on other routes of immigration and settlement. We will be unveiling these over the coming months.â€

manenoor
BANNED

Re: Its even online

Post by manenoor » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:59 pm

ouch....

Get ready for Probationay Citizenship ..........

I think in few months things will be clear. I can just hope they will add transitional arrangements for people on WP like HSMP pre nov 2006.

Also now it is far more important Immigration Welfare Board win the WP JR.

GSOtodd

Post by GSOtodd » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:19 pm

Does this mean they are likely to CAP citizenship as well or go with Probationary Citizenship? What is the Torys position on probation citizenship? Also, are things likely to happen before January?
Andy

Sky_High
Member of Standing

Post by Sky_High » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:34 pm

Do not worry.

If you see the statistic, student visa is priority. I think any strict rule will come with probationary citizenship. I also do not think that they have plan to implement these rules early. This is going to be a big job for all of them.

GSOtodd

Post by GSOtodd » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:47 pm

Well is it likely that Damian Green and THresa May would implement a cap on citizenship? If they did, would it be as severe as the Migrant Watch wants? What do you think? I'm due to ILR in either January or June. If they do anything, do you suppose transitional arrangements would be in place?
Andy

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:23 pm

Speculating one way or the other is not going to do anyone good .. but either make them worry without a reason or increase their worries!

Will it help you in anyway if anyone here tells you that settlement / naturalisation will be capped (a mere assumption on date)? Or if someone tells you today it won't be capped ... but the govt. does decide to cap it?

Wait for the govt. to publish the information .....

regards

optimist_eternal
BANNED

Post by optimist_eternal » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:48 pm

"It ain't over until the fat lady sings".

Until the new government comes up with a comprehensive white paper on this particular issue, any discussion till that time, I am afraid, is premature and purely in the realm of speculation....