ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

what help can i get?

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

hunpak
Member of Standing

what help can i get?

Post by hunpak » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:41 pm

Hi friends i got an EAA resident document in April 2010. i have just finished MBA and currently unemployed, my wife is working fulltime though earning like 1000 quid a month but after paying taxes, rent etc we are hardly surviving and literally living on credit cards..

I would love to get a job asap to support my family but can you please guide me what help can i get in the meanwhile?

I am totally new at the benefit system..

hunpak
Member of Standing

Re: what help can i get?

Post by hunpak » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:04 pm

hunpak wrote:Hi friends i got an EAA resident document in April 2010. i have just finished MBA and currently unemployed, my wife is working fulltime though earning like 1000 quid a month but after paying taxes, rent etc we are hardly surviving and literally living on credit cards..

I would love to get a job asap to support my family but can you please guide me what help can i get in the meanwhile?

I am totally new at the benefit system..

Can anyone plz guide me ....

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:55 pm

hunpak
Member of Standing

Post by hunpak » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:42 pm

sushdmehta wrote:See also Detailed Public Funds guidance

regards
thank you for the link..

i have checked but i find it very confused... can u plz be kind and give me a direct advice thanks ..

Korben Dallas

Post by Korben Dallas » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:42 pm

Check your local McDonald's.

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:47 am

if your wife is earning £1000 a month you may not get much in the way of benefits epecially as you have not actually contributed to the system

hunpak
Member of Standing

Post by hunpak » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:07 pm

Korben Dallas wrote:Check your local McDonald's.
I am a MBA not an illiterate Moron like u

hunpak
Member of Standing

Post by hunpak » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:24 am

mochyn wrote:if your wife is earning £1000 a month you may not get much in the way of benefits epecially as you have not actually contributed to the system
i have paid plenty of tax in 2007, 2008 and early 2009...and little bit in 2010 ...

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:48 am

The payment of taxes will not help but the payment of NI contributions might help.

If you have not already done so I suggest to get down to your local Job Centre+ and see if you can claim contribution-based job-seeker's allowance. Payment of that benefit, limited to 6 months, will not take your wife's earnings into account.
John

hunpak
Member of Standing

Post by hunpak » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:13 am

John wrote:The payment of taxes will not help but the payment of NI contributions might help.

If you have not already done so I suggest to get down to your local Job Centre+ and see if you can claim contribution-based job-seeker's allowance. Payment of that benefit, limited to 6 months, will not take your wife's earnings into account.
Thanks John

my main aim is to get help to get a Job..i did contribute in NI but it wasnt very huge.
What type of help can i get from job center plus to get a job ..mainly in graduate scheme as i don't have any practical experience with my degree..

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:47 am

In truth as a graduate you probably won't get a lot of help from JC+ except the possibility of you getting JSA Contribution-based.

But no harm in you going along and seeing whether you can get that benefit.
John

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:21 pm

hunpak wrote:
You will find that McDonalds is not flooded with "illiterates". Students and qualified people struggling to kick off their careers may be one of those who have served you. But let me guess - you do not patronise McDs!

I understand that you may not want to 'stoop soooo low', but spare a thought for those who just want to earn a living legally (instead of going on the dole), albeit meagre, and have to compromise on what they would ideally like to do.

As John advised, go to your local JC and assess whether you qualify for contribution-based JSA. Eligibility depends on your historical NI contributions for the last 2 - 3 tax years. Also actively keep job hunting and applying (no less than 10 applications per day) and you just might get lucky.

hunpak
Member of Standing

Post by hunpak » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:48 am

Dear Plum
thanks for the info, i had work in miserable conditions then McDs while i was studying but i have spend so much money on my MBA (12k plus costs) it will hurt me if i have to work there.. and i have no intention to stay on Benefits, i just want to get help with a job as its not easy to get a job or get graduate scheme nowadays...

Plum70 wrote:
hunpak wrote:
You will find that McDonalds is not flooded with "illiterates". Students and qualified people struggling to kick off their careers may be one of those who have served you. But let me guess - you do not patronise McDs!

I understand that you may not want to 'stoop soooo low', but spare a thought for those who just want to earn a living legally (instead of going on the dole), albeit meagre, and have to compromise on what they would ideally like to do.

As John advised, go to your local JC and assess whether you qualify for contribution-based JSA. Eligibility depends on your historical NI contributions for the last 2 - 3 tax years. Also actively keep job hunting and applying (no less than 10 applications per day) and you just might get lucky.