ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Application for NI

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

buntosanya

Application for NI

Post by buntosanya » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:40 pm

Dear Forum members

I will like to know if i can apply for a National Insurance Number without a job or a job offer.

I noticed that in some Application Packs they ask for NI number.

Thanks
"Behold, i have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it."

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:08 pm

Get in touch with your local Job Centre+ office.
John

yodiyokun
Member of Standing

Post by yodiyokun » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:42 am

Bunto,
I am happy to see you have started settling down.
Do you intend to settle in manchester?

Keep us updated ooo.

Happy new year.
My bow has been renewed

buntosanya

Post by buntosanya » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:19 pm

John
Thank you, I went to a job centre and i was told to bring an employment letter.

Yodi
Thank you very much. Yes, for now i intend to settle in Manchester, but i don't know what will happen in the nearest future.

I wish you all the best too in this year 2006.

Papafaith
Member of Standing

Post by Papafaith » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:25 pm

Keep applying for jobs, when you have at least 3 rejection letters from those apps, take the letters to your local job centre, its a proof that you are actively looking for a job.
An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.

sreeni

Post by sreeni » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:27 pm

an NI number is not required to start a job, once you have the job you can take the letter to the job center and they will then fill in the forms to get you a NI number. also Until you recive this number and your tax code your employer will tax you at a higher rate as well.

buntosanya

Post by buntosanya » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:02 pm

Thank you papafaith and sreeni for your contributions.

samkma
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by samkma » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:16 pm

Even you can apply for some job ads you see and they will just send you letters stating that u are not qualified or calling u for an interview, these letters can be shown at the time of NI interview as proof that u are actively seeking employment here.

If your employer deducts large amounts in for of tax do not worry u can apply for a refund once you get the NI just fill in a p45 form and ask your employer to send it to inland revenue.
Best of Luck.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:46 pm

If your employer deducts large amounts in for of tax do not worry u can apply for a refund once you get the NI just fill in a p45 form and ask your employer to send it to inland revenue.
No, tax and national insurance are too separate things. Whether or not you have a NINO will make no difference at all to your tax deductions.

To assist the tax situation, ask the employer for a form P46 and get that completed. But :lol: don't ask the employer for a form P45! Why? That is the form that is given to employees when they leave a job!

To summarise, if you have a P45 from your previous UK employer then hand that in to the new employer. Otherwise if for any reason you don't have a P45 (for example because you have never worked in the UK before) then a form P46 is the form to fill in.
John

simar

Post by simar » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:55 pm

John wrote:
No, tax and national insurance are too separate things. Whether or not you have a NINO will make no difference at all to your tax deductions.

To assist the tax situation, ask the employer for a form P46 and get that completed. But :lol: don't ask the employer for a form P45! Why? That is the form that is given to employees when they leave a job!

To summarise, if you have a P45 from your previous UK employer then hand that in to the new employer. Otherwise if for any reason you don't have a P45 (for example because you have never worked in the UK before) then a form P46 is the form to fill in.
I hope you may be right on tax part. But even my employer is cutting tax on flat rate. It is expected once I have permanet NI number. My tax deduction will be reduce at least in this finicial year's months.( Jan,feb & march). Also I will go for tax refunds afterwards. I did sign P46 form.
It is more than 6 weeks that I have NI number related interview. I did rang up DWP on monday asking about my status. Did spoke to person who is handling my case. Was told that will get my number in coming days.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:39 pm

my employer is cutting tax on flat rate
Sorry, what does that mean? Are they, for example, deducting a flat 22% income tax? If so, that is absolutely wrong. So please explain.
John

lbfrancois

Post by lbfrancois » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:34 pm

Hi,

I am trying to book an interview to get my NI number... I have already filled out the form and returned it to london.ninocallcentre@jobcentreplus.gsi.gov.uk, But it's been almost a week and still no response from Jobcentre.

I will start working on monday. And my employer is already asking for my NI number... What should I do??

Thanks,
Lu.

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

Tell them there is currently abacklog in the NI applicaiton and also you could start working while your NI is in process. Sometimes they give use temporary number (something to do eith your date of Birth) so yoyu could pay your NI contribution.

Pantaiema

lbfrancois wrote:Hi,

I am trying to book an interview to get my NI number... I have already filled out the form and returned it to london.ninocallcentre@jobcentreplus.gsi.gov.uk, But it's been almost a week and still no response from Jobcentre.

I will start working on monday. And my employer is already asking for my NI number... What should I do??

Thanks,
Lu.