ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Pakistani National - Voter Registration Form

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

noor1034
BANNED

Pakistani National - Voter Registration Form

Post by noor1034 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:27 pm

Hi,

I am Pakistani national and working here on work permit. I am not sure should I fill Voter Registration Form.

Would you please advice.

Thanks
Ali

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:42 pm

noor1034
BANNED

Post by noor1034 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:00 pm

sushdmehta wrote:Who can register to vote?

regards
Thanks for quick answer. I am confused with term used in link "either have leave to remain". Does it mean indefinite leave or limited leave. I think I am confusing myself.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:34 pm

Register.

regards

alikhan28
BANNED

Re: Pakistani National - Voter Registration Form

Post by alikhan28 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:06 am

noor1034 wrote:Hi,

I am Pakistani national and working here on work permit. I am not sure should I fill Voter Registration Form.

Would you please advice.

Thanks
Ali
Yes you can but remember you can only vote in local elections(council elections).

Ali
..................................................................................................
This is simply a general discussion not an immigration advice. I not necessarily correct on everything I would say. I am learning too

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:17 am

alikhan28 wrote:Yes you can but remember you can only vote in local elections(council elections).
Who is eligible to vote at a general election? wrote:To vote in a UK Parliamentary general election a person must be registered to vote and also:
- be 18 years of age or over on polling day
- be resident in the UK
- be a British citizen, a qualifying Commonwealth citizen or a citizen of the Republic of Ireland
- not be subject to any legal incapacity to vote
Who can vote? wrote:- Iritish, Irish and qualifying citizens of Commonwealth countries (including Cyprus and Malta) can vote at all elections.
- Citizens of other EU member states resident in the UK can vote in local government elections but cannot vote in UK Parliamentary elections.
- Those resident in Scotland or Wales may also vote in Scottish Parliamentary or National Assembly for Wales elections.

regards

Sangham23
BANNED

Post by Sangham23 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:18 am

Hi
be resident in the UK
- be a British citizen, a qualifying Commonwealth citizen or a citizen of the Republic of Ireland
- not be subject to any legal incapacity to vote
Ali has correctly said you can only vote in local election unless you get permanent settlement status.

I am also common wealth citizen and I can vote in local election only.

Sangham

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:31 am

Sangham23 aka alikhan28, posting incorrect information using multiple IDs is not going to make a lie the truth or change the facts. There'a lot that needs to be learnt.

noor1034, please ignore the posts by either of them. As a Pakistani national (citizen of a qualifying Commonwealth country) you can vote in both council and parliamentary elections.

regards

HRY2005
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by HRY2005 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:56 pm

I still dont get why anyone would dispute any information about electoral registration and voters eligibility, which was posted and backed up with sources from the electoral commission.

Its absurd.
Live and let live