ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is Location so important in the CV?

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Informatician
Newly Registered

Is Location so important in the CV?

Post by Informatician » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:21 pm

Hi, I have recently migrated to UK with Tier1 dependant visa. I have 5+ years of experience in BI (esp. Informatica). I live in Coventry and I am ready to relocate around London.In my CV, I have mentioned my address as Coventry. Is this a block for me to search jobs in London? Some people were saying that I may not get a call if the living place is different than the company that I am applying for? Is it true? Do I need to change my address to London. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.[/code]

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:01 pm

There is no harm mentioning your address or current location in your CV. That being said, if you do mention your location, you can also state clearly whether you are open for relocation or not and also whether anywhere within the UK or specific places. This will then ensure your CV is not rejected just because of your location :lol:

You do not get minus points based on where you live but if just to avoid certain agents wondering if you are open to move to a new city, it's always best to clearly state your relocation priority in the CV

KP

vet

Post by vet » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:14 pm

btw, do we even need to mention the address/lolcation in the CV. I thought we just need to mention the email id & a UK phone number.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:39 pm

vet wrote:btw, do we even need to mention the address/lolcation in the CV. I thought we just need to mention the email id & a UK phone number.
Vet - email id and UK number of course fine but its also OK to mention location (if in UK) and openness to relocate - a person can include whatever they want if they feel it better their chances - its a personal choice really

KP

vet

Post by vet » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:46 pm

thank you!

Informatician
Newly Registered

Post by Informatician » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:21 am

Thank you Very Much...

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:12 pm

I would advise against putting location on your cv. My husband did that and also stated that he was willing to relocate but nobody gave him a call back. Then he removed it and bam got a few interviews.
I tell it like it is.

gurpreetgill
Newly Registered

Post by gurpreetgill » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:27 pm

Hi Informatician,
I'm also a dependant on tier 1 located in Coventry and noticed you've got experience in Informatica which is an app I'm currently trying to learn. Can you drop me a line to arrange tutelage of some sort which may be beneficial to us both ???

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:16 pm

ElenaW wrote:I would advise against putting location on your cv. My husband did that and also stated that he was willing to relocate but nobody gave him a call back. Then he removed it and bam got a few interviews.
I too do not put my location because it should not make any difference to the company or recruiter when shortlisting me. Provided I can attend any interview in the UK they should not look for location specifics.
That being said, a day before I replied to this post, once kind and gentle recruiter spoke to me and mentioned why I did not put my location and restrictions - more so because this job was based in the EU and I had to have rights to work in the EU - so you never know :lol:

KP

Informatician
Newly Registered

Thank u...

Post by Informatician » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:26 pm

Thanks a lot for the reply...

prisat
Member of Standing

Post by prisat » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:29 pm

kenfrapin wrote:There is no harm mentioning your address or current location in your CV. That being said, if you do mention your location, you can also state clearly whether you are open for relocation or not and also whether anywhere within the UK or specific places. This will then ensure your CV is not rejected just because of your location :lol:

You do not get minus points based on where you live but if just to avoid certain agents wondering if you are open to move to a new city, it's always best to clearly state your relocation priority in the CV

KP
Irrespective of whether you say that you are ready for relocation or not, the recruiters/consultants will prefer CV's of people who are closely located to the company location unless they dont have matching profiles to pass it on to the client.
Disclaimer :

I am not from a law firm or an attorney who provide Consultation for Immigration to UK.
Information that i provide is not the same as legal advice or legal advises. Use the message (s) and information at your own risk.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:34 pm

indianinworld wrote: Irrespective of whether you say that you are ready for relocation or not, the recruiters/consultants will prefer CV's of people who are closely located to the company location unless they dont have matching profiles to pass it on to the client.
Disagree with you there because recruiters do not have an issue as long as you are in the UK. They will tell you up front that the work is based in ABC and ask if are you ready for relocation.

If what you say were true, there would be nothing called 'contracting' in the UK as contractors travel the length and breadth of UK and change locations sometimes for every contract - and they do get called for those roles no matter where they stay :D

KP