ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

extension problem?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

cagatay
Newly Registered

extension problem?

Post by cagatay » Thu May 13, 2004 9:55 pm

:shock:
is it necessary to work in our current proffession as mentioned in hsmp application or can i work in similar jobs to my profession??plz help me :mrgreen:

aa
Newly Registered

Post by aa » Thu May 13, 2004 10:05 pm

Q1. "is it necessary to work in our current proffession ?"
Q2. "can i work in similar jobs to my profession ?"

I really can't make difference between these OR questions you raised. Anyway, the answer is, you can do any job in UK (of course legal which pays all local taxes) to prove that you are supporting yourself while applying for extension.

kawasaki1

Post by kawasaki1 » Fri May 14, 2004 8:33 am

Erm, I don't think it can be ANY job. From other posts on similar topic, it appears that you should do a job that is within your profession or you will not be granted an extension.

Having said that, its hard to categorise what is in ones 'profession' and what not. Perhaps someone in IT could work in both hardware and software and still call both of those his 'profession'. However, if someone in IT goes and does financial markets trading, he would probably have a tough time getting extension if initial HSMP letter was for a 'software engineer'.

So much from me, read other posts, search for other similar topics, it has been discussed at length.

Square

Post by Square » Fri May 14, 2004 7:24 pm

I agree with Kawasaki1.

My understanding is that the kind of work which is (or will be) considered for HSMP extensions is that in your declared profession.

Cosmopol
Member of Standing

Post by Cosmopol » Fri May 14, 2004 7:48 pm

Have you checked the FAQ lately?
;)

cagatay
Newly Registered

Post by cagatay » Fri May 14, 2004 9:31 pm

ı ve read the recent FAQ and real also the flr form for extension but i could not find any written restrictions about doing your profession or not.only some questions asking my profession and employing position in flr form question40 to q44.so if u ve any knowledge which faq explains about this issue plz tell me dear cosmopol... :roll:

Cosmopol
Member of Standing

Post by Cosmopol » Fri May 14, 2004 10:56 pm

Cagatay - apologies for falsely presuming you haven't looked at the FAQ: the preceding exchange in this thread seemed to be of basic nature to me.

Formally speaking, you are right, there are no explicit restrictions on the kind of work you do. However, the HSMP programme indicates that a successful applicant is expected to work in the chosen field. Questions 40-44 on the FLR(IED) form are meant only for HSMP applicants for extension and seem to point specifically at the aspect of one's occupation. Therefore, it seemed safe to assume that HO may very well not extend the stay for those who declared themselves highly skilled in one profession, but are active in another.

At the same time, HSMP is an open programme (besides being recent and thus still evolving). It is entirely possible that HO case workers may execise individual discretion and extend someone's stay despite the difference in occupation, especially in those cases where it's somehow related to the stated one. It is also possible that case workers may grant extensions to anyone who shows good activity or is otherwise 'promising'.

It's just not something to count on - at least not yet - that one will surely get an extension, as long as one is making a living in the UK.

Hope this helps and good luck! ;)

Papafaith
Member of Standing

Post by Papafaith » Fri May 21, 2004 12:07 pm

In my apllication i stated the following profession that i may want to engage in
1) Instrument Maintenance Engineering
2) Process plant operation
3) Teaching
Does this mean that HO will honour any one of this i find myself for extension?
An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.

Cosmopol
Member of Standing

Post by Cosmopol » Fri May 21, 2004 2:33 pm

Papafaith wrote:Does this mean that HO will honour any one of this i find myself for extension?
I don't see why not...

Papafaith
Member of Standing

Post by Papafaith » Fri May 21, 2004 5:03 pm

Thanks Cosmo
An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.