ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What benefit can I claim.

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Junaidbinyasin
Mood:
Pakistan

What benefit can I claim.

Post by Junaidbinyasin » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:35 pm

Hi there all,

I have got ILR in June this year after completion of 10 years of long legal residence. I have partner and to kids as well, never claimed any benefit so far.

Now I have applied for child benefit havn't received it yet though, Btw, my kids got british nationality now as i have ILR, but my wife she will be my dependent as she does not qualify under long residence rule. So she will still be under immigration control.

Now my question is what other benefit can I apply for, As I am eligible for Tax credit, Working tax credit and housing benefit. Please advise as my wife is still under immigration control even I told them they still asy I qualify but I dont wanna mess, Please help shall I apply for any all or not at all of all above said benefits?

THANKS IN ADVANCE.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:09 pm

As you have ILR you are free from immigration control, and thus you are entitled to claim whatever benefits your circumstances dictate you are entitled to.

As regards Tax Credits, in respect of a couple living together, the claim must be in joint names. But as regards your wife, who does not yet have ILR, that is totally OK to be such a joint claimant, because para 6B of the Immigration Rules is in play. Thus ".... a person (P) shall not be regarded as having recourse to public funds if P is entitled to benefits specified under .... " then mentioning relevant legislation.
John