ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I have spanish id do i require visa to travel to ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tocasa

I have spanish id do i require visa to travel to ireland

Post by tocasa » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:36 am

:(
Last edited by tocasa on Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ca.funke
Belgium

Re: I have spanish id do i require visa to travel to ireland

Post by ca.funke » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:10 am

Hi tocasa,

what do you mean by "Spanish ID"?

Are you a Spanish national? In that case you can come to Ireland without any further conditions.

In all other cases, you´d have to specify your status. Nationality? Married? To whom? Single? ...

Rgds, Christian

tocasa

Post by tocasa » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:25 pm

Hi Christian

I am Zimbabwean my wife is British, and I have a spanish id,

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:49 pm

Hi tocasa,

in this case you MAY travel to the UK without a visa, and you MAY also subsequently stay and work there without a visa.

I am emphasizing the "MAY", because the UK does not act according to the law.

Most of what you need to know can be found in >>this<< thread.

Unfortunately some of the links in that post are no longer valid, since the EU >>changed their website<<.

Please ask if you have any specific questions...

...rgds, Christian

tocasa

Post by tocasa » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:23 pm

Hi Christrian

Thanks for the reply we are looking at moving to Ireland from Spain, the links are very helpful thank you, has anyone been able to travel to Ireland with just the ID from any of the member states, It was just an uphill task to get our ID here, we would like to visit ireland if we like it we would like to stay or make plans to return. If anyone has travelled with just the ID my Spanish ID has my wifes name on it so there is no mistaking it being issued as a spouse of a eu national, Sorry just very confused and very tired of being second class.

fatty patty

Post by fatty patty » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:39 pm

tocasa wrote:Hi Christian

I am Zimbabwean my wife is British, and I have a spanish id,
That means your spouse is exercising her treaty rights in Spain and you got a EU Family visa/stamp right?

If that so you can travel to any EU country without a visa provided that your spouse is traveling with you. Once again to be sure to be sure confirm it with Irish Embassy in Spain, even though if you required a visa (which i doubted) it will be free of cost.

Reference:
http://ec.europa.eu/youreurope/citizens ... dex_en.htm

Dublin2011
Newly Registered

Post by Dublin2011 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:45 am

I am not sure what do u mean by Spanish ID. Does it mean that you can have Spanish passport?? If you can have Spanish passport that mean you can travel to Ireland with an ID card.

However, if it's the type of ID just to show your residence in Spain, this ID doesn't mean that you're Spanish citizen and you can't have Spanish passport. Then, You can't travel with that Type of ID card. You need to have to apply for visa to Ireland.

tocasa

Post by tocasa » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:54 am

HI Fatty patty

I have a Spanish ID that clearly states Familiar Cuidadano De La Union, rang the Irish embassy in Madrid this morning they asked for a load of requirements, as he said that Ireland and UK opted out of the schegen agreement, Has anyone travelled without a visa to ireland with just the ID passport and marriage certificate.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:56 pm

tocasa wrote:rang the Irish embassy in Madrid this morning they asked for a load of requirements, as he said that Ireland and UK opted out of the schegen agreement
Totally irrelevant.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

tocasa

Post by tocasa » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:10 pm

Hi Ben

I am really considering just getting on the plane and land in ireland, we have our papers here, and have travelled the world to be together and we dont appreciate our rights being trampled on :twisted:, We are really :evil:. and by right as we are human beings, and we are still classed as aliens someone has to do something or we have to do something as this goes against all laws, and why we have to be subject to this. This goes beyond my understanding as we only live once, and why should we have to accept us being treated like we are not human and have no rights, is it a crime to fall in love and want to provide for your family. Are we supposed to lie down and act dead.

fatty patty

Post by fatty patty » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:36 pm

Schengen visa is for non-EU citizens who are non-EU family members (students, work permit etc. holders from non-EU countries) and would like to visit a schengen country for pleasure/business purposes for e.g France, Germany, Spain etc. etc.

http://www.euro-dollar-currency.com/schengen_visa.htm

Its irrelevant as Ben said in your case as you are not applying for Schengen visa. UK/IRL are not part of Schengen agreement but still are part of EU. Say for e.g. an Indian souse of a Polish national exercising their treaty rights in Ireland and living in Ireland can travel to any EU country together. Even though if you go to Irish embassy in Spain and apply for visa it will be free of cost to you...but the question is why should you apply in the first place?

But according to Irish Department of Foreign Affairs you do need to! :shock:

http://www.dfa.ie/uploads/documents/Emb ... df%202.pdf

tocasa

Post by tocasa » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:52 am

The question is why should I apply in the first place when the law that keeps me here is EU law, and according to EU law we should be able to travel without hinderance, has anyone travelled to ireland without the so called visa with just their ID

victor8600

Post by victor8600 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:47 am

tocasa wrote:...and according to EU law we should be able to travel without hinderance, ...
Well if you read EU directives on free movement, you will probably notice caveats such as "Except Ireland and UK" :roll:
All your base are belong to us

acme4242

Post by acme4242 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:06 pm

victor8600 wrote:
tocasa wrote:...and according to EU law we should be able to travel without hinderance, ...
Well if you read EU directives on free movement, you will probably notice caveats such as "Except Ireland and UK" :roll:
No, The EU directive on Free movement 2004/38/EC applies across all the EEA region, including Ireland and the UK.
This Directive on free movement was passed by McDowell while Ireland
held the presidency.
Ireland transposed it into Irish Law in SI656 of 2006, and SI310 of 2008

However the Schengen agreement is something completely different.
Its an agreement, not a directive.
UK and Ireland opted out of the agreement.