ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tuition fee assessment, Home or International?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Sherv
Newly Registered

Tuition fee assessment, Home or International?

Post by Sherv » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:43 pm

Hey people,

I am part way through my civil engineering course at a UK university.

Ive had a pending asylum application while studying and recently was granted an Indifinite leave to remain in the UK not as an outcome of my asylum application but because of duration of my stay,("outside the rules").

I believed this meant that I could change my fee status from International to home, but the university says because my indifinite leave to remain wasnt a direct outcome of my asylum apllication I should continue to pay International fee for the remainder of my degree(the next two years).

I am going to appeal this decision, am I fighting a losing battle? or should be entitle to home student fees?

Any advise would be much appreciated.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:30 pm

IMHO, if settled status entitles you to pay home fees then the college should only bother about your status (settled).. and not the route taken to attain that status.

regards

hmm

Post by hmm » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:47 pm

You were an asylum seeker and classed as international student? Not all universities does that. May be you should look into changing your university where they charge less.

Sherv
Newly Registered

Post by Sherv » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:18 pm

Yeah they charge me international fees, they have a consecion program that came in place in 2009 for asylum seekers to pay home fees but they say my course started before that came into place so i dont qualify, so i have kinda fallen on the qrong side of everything! I found this really unfair but im half way through a really good course and not sure if changing universoty will help.

I just want to draft a strong appeal so hopefully i can get possitive result.

chakku71

Post by chakku71 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:06 am

Sherv wrote:Yeah they charge me international fees, they have a consecion program that came in place in 2009 for asylum seekers to pay home fees but they say my course started before that came into place so i dont qualify, so i have kinda fallen on the qrong side of everything! I found this really unfair but im half way through a really good course and not sure if changing universoty will help.

I just want to draft a strong appeal so hopefully i can get possitive result.
Good luck but I think the fee is a decision for the University. They can make amends and concessions on all sorts of grounds- it is ultimately the deans decision and his job is on the line if he doesn't get enough money to the Uni- so hope for a compassionate Dean hence the good luck.
BB

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:17 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.