ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Minors Citizenship

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Lutus
Newly Registered

Minors Citizenship

Post by Lutus » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:09 pm

Is a minor who has obtained citizenship through naturalised parents been naturalised or is the citizenship considered to have been obtained through association?

9jeirean

Re: Minors Citizenship

Post by 9jeirean » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:44 pm

Lutus wrote:Is a minor who has obtained citizenship through naturalised parents been naturalised or is the citizenship considered to have been obtained through association?
There are only two pathways to Irish citizenship: One either has an automatic entitlement or apply to be naturalized. This applies to both adults and minors.

I am assuming you are referring to this ==> http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Form_9 in that regards, they are naturalised. The parents essentially apply to the minister on their behalf to be naturalized

If however the child was born after either of the parents have been naturalized. They are automatically entitled to be Irish citizen (Note that since Jan 2005, same entitlement applies to children born to parents one of which have been legally resident in Ireland for 3 year prior to the birth of the child).

Hope this helps.
What lies behind us and ahead of us is nothing compared to what lies within us

jhbmike

Post by jhbmike » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:35 am

I think what Lutus is asking is on what grounds the minor to naturalised parents will be granted citizenship through naturalisation. There are 3 ways a person can be naturalised. 1 Residency, 2. Associacion and 3. Spouse of Irish citizen.

There are certain implications based on how you were granted naturalisation. If you are granted citizenship by association one of the benefits is that if you leave the country you do not have to register at the embassy on a yearly basis for 7 years.

I believe that it is the case, but stand to be corrected that a minor technically obtains citizenship through association even though they still are processed through form 9 and not form 10.

9jeirean

Post by 9jeirean » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:51 am

jhbmike wrote:I think what Lutus is asking is on what grounds the minor to naturalised parents will be granted citizenship through naturalisation. There are 3 ways a person can be naturalised. 1 Residency, 2. Associacion and 3. Spouse of Irish citizen.

There are certain implications based on how you were granted naturalisation. If you are granted citizenship by association one of the benefits is that if you leave the country you do not have to register at the embassy on a yearly basis for 7 years.

I believe that it is the case, but stand to be corrected that a minor technically obtains citizenship through association even though they still are processed through form 9 and not form 10.
Oh I see what you mean jhbmike. The original post was slightly vague IMHO. I guess we may need DoJ to clarify that especially since it has got implications as you pointed out
What lies behind us and ahead of us is nothing compared to what lies within us