ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can HSMP dependent move to work permit

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Grateful Dead
Newly Registered

Can HSMP dependent move to work permit

Post by Grateful Dead » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:21 am

Hi

Can my wife, who is HSMP dependent (I am the main HSMP applicant), switch to Work Permit if her employer is willing to sponsor her Work Permit?

In that case she will become the main applicant for Work Permit and I will become dependent.

We are in 1st year of our HSMP visa.

Would appreciate responses on this please

Thanx.....GD

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:41 pm

Yes she can, but what is the advantage for her?

And if you become her dependent, what advantage does that give you over your current status?

I am struggling to understand the logic here. What am I missing?
John

Grateful Dead
Newly Registered

Post by Grateful Dead » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:53 pm

Thanks John. In a situation extension is not granted for 3 years under HSMP (I have not been able to secure a job yet, whereas my wife has been able to). Her profession is in Shortage Occupations List and she may be in a position to negotiate work permit sponsorship.

My question is in view of the above.

Regards

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:16 pm

OK, but couldn't you possibly activate "stage 1" and possibly leave "stage 2" until it becomes absolutely necessary?

That is, if your wife gets a WP, that does not force you to instantly become her dependent. So only become her dependent if you don't succeed in getting a job, otherwise you could just stick with your HSMP.
John

Rex

Post by Rex » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:44 pm

She can continue her job being an HSMP dependent and you just have to prove at the end of first year that you were actively looking for work and that you are supporting your family out of your savings(or any other way) to show that you do not rely on her earnings.

I think if your target is ILR HSMP is better and more secure.

MWazir
Diamond Member

Post by MWazir » Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:59 am

John's advise on spot on. You should continue on your HSMP visa even if your spouse moves on to a WP. I understand that you are a bit nervous about the FLR extension. The chances that you will not get your extension are really slim. Infact, search through all the immigration forums, you would be hard pressed to find anyone who has not get an extension. Worst case scenario is instead of 3 years you would get only a years extension.

Grateful Dead
Newly Registered

Post by Grateful Dead » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:13 pm

John, Mwazir, Rex - thanks very much for your views/guidance. In fact the endeavour is to stay on the HSMP route and hence trying really hard to get a job.

I could do so with best wishes from guys like you.

Cheers....GD

Papafaith
Member of Standing

Post by Papafaith » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:19 pm

Grateful, i dont think it would be quite difficult to get a job in a shop, security etc to be economically active while you search for the main one. If you can produce 3 months payslip on any kind of job, it would be fine. Dont just give up, it will be well.
An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.

madanrm

Re: Can HSMP dependent move to work permit

Post by madanrm » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:20 pm

Grateful Dead wrote:Hi

Can my wife, who is HSMP dependent (I am the main HSMP applicant), switch to Work Permit if her employer is willing to sponsor her Work Permit?

In that case she will become the main applicant for Work Permit and I will become dependent.

Thanx.....GD
I m facing a similar situation here. My wife is the primary applicant and is in a job in london. I have a prospective employer hesitating to give me an offer becuz i m not a primary applicant and is suspicious that i would move with my spouse out of london/uk at any point of time.

Can i apply for a workpermit being an HSMP dependent ? has anyone done this before. Remember i am in uk currently.

TIA
Madan

gorajim

Post by gorajim » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:46 pm

Madanrm,

You can't apply for a WP yourself... your prospective employer needs to do it for you... but yes, it is possible.

Cheers.

SYH
BANNED

Re: Can HSMP dependent move to work permit

Post by SYH » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:25 am

madanrm wrote:
Grateful Dead wrote:Hi

Thanx.....GD
I m facing a similar situation here. My wife is the primary applicant and is in a job in london. I have a prospective employer hesitating to give me an offer becuz i m not a primary applicant and is suspicious that i would move with my spouse out of london/uk at any point of time.

Can i apply for a workpermit being an HSMP dependent ? has anyone done this before. Remember i am in uk currently.

TIA
Madan
I don't see how that assuages your employer's fear of you leaving. You could still leave if your wife found a job elsewhere and you wanted to join her. Frankly its easier for them to employ you as hsmp dependent instead of getting a wp. They are just being contrary. I think you need to show your commitment to the job and the unlikelihood of you and your wife moving. I mean you found a place to stay who wants to keep moving. that's just logical.