ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Status after naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

rg1
Member of Standing

Status after naturalisation

Post by rg1 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:24 am

What will be my status after citizenship ceremony but before application of British passport?

I understand I shall still need to use my Indian passport if I fly out of UK. But there are other scenarios where I need to state my nationality eg. child benefit claim form, job related matters etc.

:roll:

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:31 am

British citizen, what else!

The naturalisation certificate certifies you as a British citizen, not the passport (a travel and identity document).

regards

vinny

Re: Status after naturalisation

Post by vinny » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:31 am

rg1 wrote:What will be my status after citizenship ceremony but before application of British passport?
British.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

rg1
Member of Standing

Post by rg1 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:39 pm

Well, problem is everyone ones to see passport as proof of citizenship :x Not sure what people will say if I show them just Naturalization certificate!

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:32 pm

Naturalisation certificate is proof of citizenship.
Passport is proof of identity.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

rg1
Member of Standing

Post by rg1 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:18 pm

Can I travel within EU with naturalization certificate?

boloney

Post by boloney » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:13 pm

No
rg1 wrote:Can I travel within EU with naturalization certificate?

JulesN19

Post by JulesN19 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:53 pm

In general, you need a valid passport to engage in international travel. To travel to other EU member states in your capacity as a British citizen, you will need to have a British passport. As far as I am aware, all EU member states require those entering on Indian passports to have visas.

You may be in a slightly awkward situation with regard to your Indian nationality and eligibility to hold an Indian passport immediately after your UK naturalisation. You should check with the Indian High Commission whether you will have ceased to be an Indian citizen and become ineligible to hold an Indian passport from the moment of being granted British citizenship.

As a practical matter, it is probably best to plan to apply for a British passport very soon after your naturalisation as a British citizen. This way, you will be able to submit your Indian passport as a supporting document for your British passport and get a British passport as soon as possible. (However, keep in mind that the process of applying for a British passport will take a few weeks. Make arrangements to be without access to your Indian passport or UK naturalisation certificate for this time. It's best to plan not to travel during this time and to have certified copies made of your passport and naturalisation certificate just before you apply for your British passport.) Upon getting a British passport, you can deal with surrendering your Indian passport to the Indian High Commission (if they require it) and applying for PIO or OCI status.