ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What are my options re residency?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Kay
Newly Registered

What are my options re residency?

Post by Kay » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:13 pm

Hi there

Am a bit worried att he moment and hope someone can help me.

I moved to Ireland at the end of 2010 and was ona holiday visa. I got a job and (from memory) got my first work permit in 2002.

I am aware that after 8 years of consecutive permits there is a permit that I can apply for that will allow me to stay without being sponsored.

I spoke to my local gadai immigration officer who told me that I had not always renewed my GNIB card when I should have and as a result those months would be added on to the 8 years needed. This would take me up to April next year.

OK, the problem is I think I am going to be made redundant. I haven't been told officially but the odds are I will be told I am being let go in the next month or so.

I understand I have 6 months to find a new job. At the end of this time it will more than likely be April.

Do I still haveto be sponsored once I lose this job or can I do any kind of job to help make ends meet?

After all the years working and paying tax would I be entitled to any form of benefit? (I was out of work for only 3 months since my first permit).

And finally.... I have a mortgage and life here, moving back to Oz in not really an option for me, but I'm pretty terrified with the way the job market is that I will be heading back home.

Thanks in advance.

Kay
Newly Registered

Post by Kay » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:13 pm

Sorry, that should have read I moved here at the end of 2000... :oops:

fatty patty

Re: What are my options re residency?

Post by fatty patty » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:26 pm

Kay wrote:Hi there

Am a bit worried att he moment and hope someone can help me.

I moved to Ireland at the end of 2010 and was ona holiday visa. I got a job and (from memory) got my first work permit in 2002.

I am aware that after 8 years of consecutive permits there is a permit that I can apply for that will allow me to stay without being sponsored.

I spoke to my local gadai immigration officer who told me that I had not always renewed my GNIB card when I should have and as a result those months would be added on to the 8 years needed. This would take me up to April next year.

OK, the problem is I think I am going to be made redundant. I haven't been told officially but the odds are I will be told I am being let go in the next month or so.

I understand I have 6 months to find a new job. At the end of this time it will more than likely be April.

Do I still haveto be sponsored once I lose this job or can I do any kind of job to help make ends meet?

After all the years working and paying tax would I be entitled to any form of benefit? (I was out of work for only 3 months since my first permit).

And finally.... I have a mortgage and life here, moving back to Oz in not really an option for me, but I'm pretty terrified with the way the job market is that I will be heading back home.

Thanks in advance.

The stamp you mentioned earlier is WCATT (Without Condition As to Time) which required for you to be resident on permit/stamp 4 for 8 years. But there is another one where you're required to be in the state legally for only 5 years...its called Long Term Residence.

Ref:

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Lo ... _Residency

victor8600

Re: What are my options re residency?

Post by victor8600 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:58 pm

Kay wrote:...1) This would take me up to April next year.

...2) the problem is I think I am going to be made redundant. ... I understand I have 6 months to find a new job.

3) ... can I do any kind of job to help make ends meet?

4) .. would I be entitled to any form of benefit?

5)... I have a mortgage and life here, moving back to Oz in not really an option for me, but I'm pretty terrified with the way the job market is that I will be heading back home.
1) You may apply for LTR now, but (in my opinion only) this is a waste of time. LTR takes 2 years to get, WCATT stamp ("8 year") is easier and faster (~1 month) to get.

2) Read this:
3) As said above in (2).

4) Benefits -- yes, you are entitled to the Jobseeker's Benefit if you are/were paying PRSI. However, if you find a job soon enough (after several months), it may be not worth the hassle, a) because you would pay less taxes that year if you did not have it, and b) if you want to apply for naturalization, they may refuse your application because of accessing welfare.

5) Don't worry, be happy :lol:
All your base are belong to us

fatty patty

Post by fatty patty » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:08 pm

WCATT sure is fast but I don't think is the right option for Kay as he was told by the Gardai to stay few more months to beef up his 8 years. Now as Kay puts it he is going to be made redundant so his chance of securing a new extension on the permit are slim as the job is no longer there (unless Kay has enough validity on his current permit to last him until April). So in this case LTR is the only option, it said that even if you are redundant but had done your 5 years time you can apply.

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Ne ... EA_workers

Job seeker's benefit after being redundant you can apply straightaway for it (you have been paying your tax contributions for the past 5 or more years)...current waiting time varies on county to county, but being out of job is the main condition.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/Jobsee ... es/jb.aspx

victor8600

Post by victor8600 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:28 pm

fatty patty wrote:...his chance of securing a new extension on the permit are slim as the job is no longer there...
He does not need a permit any more, or am I missing something?
All your base are belong to us

9jeirean

Post by 9jeirean » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:33 pm

Applying for LTR in its current form is a bloody waste of time and money IMO. For one, it takes at least 2 years to process and if kay loses his job while his LTR application is still pending as it is likely going to be the case, you can bet his LTR application will be refused.

Victor8600 was spot on about kay not needing to apply for a work permit. People who have completed 5 years on work permit can now get an automatic 1 year stamp 4 extension http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Ne ... EA_workers kay's best bet is apply for the 1 year extension, this should take kay over the 8 years threshold then apply for the WCATT. To the best of my knowledge WCATT is straight forward and it doesn't matter if you are working at the time of application or not.

fatty patty

Post by fatty patty » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:34 pm

9jeirean wrote:Applying for LTR in its current form is a bloody waste of time and money IMO. For one, it takes at least 2 years to process and if kay loses his job while his LTR application is still pending as it is likely going to be the case, you can bet his LTR application will be refused.

Victor8600 was spot on about kay not needing to apply for a work permit. People who have completed 5 years on work permit can now get an automatic 1 year stamp 4 extension http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Ne ... EA_workers kay's best bet is apply for the 1 year extension, this should take kay over the 8 years threshold then apply for the WCATT. To the best of my knowledge WCATT is straight forward and it doesn't matter if you are working at the time of application or not.
Spot on 9jeirean/victor. Didn't think of that technical option of extending it for one year and then apply for WCATT in April.
â—¦This permission will run for one year. It may be renewed annually but this will depend on whether the holder is in employment or if redundant is making efforts to seek employment and has not become an undue burden on the State.

â—¦The holder of this permission will be free to work in any employment and will no longer be limited to the current employer. Should they subsequently be made redundant they are free to seek other employment.
And once Kay gets his WCATT he is a free soul. Genius!

Kay
Newly Registered

Post by Kay » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:23 pm

Thanks everyone.

I'm female by the way :)

Job definitely going in the next 4-6 weeks. Am in shock!!!! Not again....

Any ideas what I should do at this point?

9jeirean

Post by 9jeirean » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:24 pm

Kay wrote:Thanks everyone.

Hi Kay,

Apologies about the gender mix up.

Do not panic. You should be alright at least immigration wise. First thing is to arrange to get an automatic 1 year extension available for those who have been on WP for 5 years and have been made redundant, see link here http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Ne ... EA_workers . You may want to print this and bring along as some immigration officers may not be aware of this policy. It would help to bring along copies of all your previous work permit and P60s. Once you have your one year extension, that should take you over the 8 years requirement (Do not wait until your temporary 1 year extension is over), then apply for Without Condition as to Time stamp which should be straight forward and you do not have to pay for it at the moment. See details here http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Wi ... dorsements I think it is taking about 4 weeks to process at the moment. That's it then you are home and dry.

Hopefully this helps and my sincere wishes for the best in your future.

9j

Kay
Newly Registered

Post by Kay » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:05 pm

Thanks so much for all that advice :) I really appreciate it. You've made me smile!!! :D

Am going to be OK. I have mortgage protection on my home so I don't have to worry about that - at least.

And am almost home and hosed re the residency situation.

I definitely can sign on can't I? I've been paying tax for over 8 years.

fatty patty

Post by fatty patty » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:10 pm

Kay wrote:Thanks everyone.

Apologies. Yes you can apply for benefits after redundancy, defo.

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:39 pm

just to correct you on long term residency. it does not take 2 years now. it's just under 12 months. LTR are processing application received february 2010. yes, 2010 :)
as well, if you had 5 work permits previously, your immigration officer should give you a temporary stamp 4 for a year under the new guidelines, and there is no need to renew your work permit.
if you have full 8 years, apply for WCATT stamp. if less go for LTR (stamp 4 for 5 years). you have a possibility to apply for naturalisation as well.

linn
Newly Registered

Post by linn » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:41 am

agniukas wrote:just to correct you on long term residency. it does not take 2 years now. it's just under 12 months. LTR are processing application received february 2010. yes, 2010 :)
Not sure where you got the information from, look at inis websitehttp://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Lo ... _Residency:

Applications for Long Term Residency - We are currently processing applications for Long Term Residency received in the latter 6 months of 2009

fatty patty

Post by fatty patty » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:30 pm

linn wrote:
agniukas wrote:just to correct you on long term residency. it does not take 2 years now. it's just under 12 months. LTR are processing application received february 2010. yes, 2010 :)
Not sure where you got the information from, look at inis websitehttp://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Lo ... _Residency:

Applications for Long Term Residency - We are currently processing applications for Long Term Residency received in the latter 6 months of 2009
Don't mess with agniukas linn, this user has insider info....i think agniukas works in DoJ :shock: !

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:21 pm

linn wrote:

a friend has received an acknowledgement from them.

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:22 pm

[/quote]

Don't mess with agniukas linn, this user has insider info....i think agniukas works in DoJ :shock: ![/quote]

i wish :D

linn
Newly Registered

Post by linn » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:06 pm

agniukas wrote:

Don't mess with agniukas linn, this user has insider info....i think agniukas works in DoJ :shock: !
i wish :D
We all wish, so that many of us who are waiting for decision of citizenship can no longer chase inis staff called "Marry" but you. :lol:

I am considering applying for LTR, but not sure if it worths 500 euro(I recently applied naturalisation). Any idea?

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:00 pm

if you have 5 years on wor permits and a spare 500e, you can apply for LTR. but it's completely up to you. if were to apply now, you would get it some time next year. when did you apply for citizenship? because that takes ages to complete. if you want to be secure about your permission while waiting for citizenship, you can go for LTR