ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Fiancée Insurance in UK

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Chedz
Newly Registered

Fiancée Insurance in UK

Post by Chedz » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:43 pm

We will be applying for my fiancée's Visa next month in Kiev. Can anyone tell me where I can get insurance to cover her before we are married?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:00 pm

Are you thinking of medical insurance in particular? If so, why do you think she would not be covered by the NHS? What has given you that impression?
John

Chedz
Newly Registered

Post by Chedz » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:29 pm

I was under the impression that she was NOT covered prior to our marriage. She is from Ukraine and I didn't think there was a recipricol arrangement except for emergency treatment. Am I mistaken?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:00 am

It would still be useful to know where you got that impression? If you have discovered the Citizens Advice page on the subject, well let's just say I think it could be worded much better.

The fact is that anyone "ordinarily resident" in the UK is entitled to use the NHS for free. This is better described on this webpage. Although headed about Primary Care Services, the same rules apply to hospital treatment.

So it comes down to whether the person is "ordinarily resident" in the UK. I think it can be argued very strongly that someone in the UK on a fiancée visa, who fully intends to get married in the UK, and then apply for spouse visa in the UK, and live with their spouse on a permanent basis, is "ordinarily resident" as soon as they arrive.

After all, someone coming here on an employment visa, either WP or HSMP, is covered as soon as they arrive, even before they start any work.
John

Chedz
Newly Registered

Post by Chedz » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:05 pm

John, as usual you talk a lot of sense. Thanks for the link, things are al lot clearer now