ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visa endorsed 'Spouse' instead of 'Unmarried Partner'

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

PickledAardvark
Newly Registered

Visa endorsed 'Spouse' instead of 'Unmarried Partner'

Post by PickledAardvark » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:47 am

My partner has today received his 27 month probationary settlement visa after it was granted on Appeal. However, the ECO in Chennai has endorsed it 'Spouse' instead of 'Unmarried partner'. I don't know what is best to do - myself and our five year old daughter haven't seen him for over two years so we really don't want more delay by sending the visa back to Chennai - having finally got it, we want to be together as soon as possible! However, we do intend marrying in the Uk at some point so that we can both retire to India eventually with me on a spouse visa (I am a UK national). If my partner has a spouse visa, is that likely to cause difficulties when we try and marry? And might there be potential difficulties at immigration at the airport if they ask him about his marital status and he says he's not married if his visa is endorsed 'Spouse' - might they ask him or isn't this part of procedure?

Thanks.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:54 am

PickledAardvark
Newly Registered

Post by PickledAardvark » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:00 am

Thanks, this is very useful. It suggests to me that the best course of action is to leave his visa as it is until he is safely in Scotland with us, then write to Croydon, whereupon they will re-endorse his visa free of charge.

Good news, many thanks!

salter45
Newly Registered

Post by salter45 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:27 pm

My then-fiance (now wife) had a similar issue in that she was issued with a SPOUSE/CP endorsed visa with 27 month validity and apparent right to work, rather than MARRIAGE/CP which would have been valid for 6 months. The UKBA helpline suggested she travel anyway, and explain the situation to border control officers if they picked up on it - which they didn't. She had no problem entering the UK, and we have succesfully given notice and married, without any questions being raised.
I'll be raising a new topic as to how to proceed from now, but hope our experience so far is helpful to you.