ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

exercising treaty rights in Germany

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

pennylessinindia

exercising treaty rights in Germany

Post by pennylessinindia » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:56 pm

If I as a British Cit travel to Germany to do voluntary work does that mean I am exercising my treaty rights or does the work have to be paid to a certain level.
pennyless

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:22 pm

To exercise your treaty rights you would have to have sufficient income (and possibly a comprehensive sickness insurance) except in the first three months. If that work doesn't pay how are you going to support yourself?

pennylessinindia

Post by pennylessinindia » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:06 pm

I am considering moving to a residential position to help a charity so food and accom would be covered
pennyless

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:29 pm

Hm, you better check with the local authorities/their web page. I suspect that the Germans operate like the French or the Austrians on a minimum income. My guesstimate would be between 400 and 500 Euro net for a single person (are you going there alone?). You may have to argue that all your basic expenses are covered by the charity. How would you be health insured? I assume you know that you are required to both register your residence with the local council as well as with the immigration office.

lifeart

Post by lifeart » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:13 pm

You do not need to register with the immigration office, only with the registry office who will automatically transmit your file to immigration. If they in turn have any questions about your right of free movement they will ask you to come in.
If you are not gainfully employed (meaning you are working at least 10 hrs/week for pay) you may have to prove that you have enough money available. This usually means that you must have an amount equal to what you would receive from the German government for one year in cash benefits if you were eligible for this benefit (which you won't be, at least initially). In this case you will also have to prove that you have private comprehensive health insurance that covers you in Germany.
If these conditions are met (employent or not) you have the right of free movement in Germany and must be issued a "Freizügigkeitsbescheinigung" which is valid indefinitely

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:45 pm

How long are you thinking of doing this in Germany?

As others have said, if it is for under 3 months, then you do not need to do anything formal, other than possibly registering your address with the local city or town hall.

MelC

Post by MelC » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:44 am

lifeart wrote:You do not need to register with the immigration office, only with the registry office who will automatically transmit your file to immigration. If they in turn have any questions about your right of free movement they will ask you to come in.
If you are not gainfully employed (meaning you are working at least 10 hrs/week for pay) you may have to prove that you have enough money available. This usually means that you must have an amount equal to what you would receive from the German government for one year in cash benefits if you were eligible for this benefit (which you won't be, at least initially). In this case you will also have to prove that you have private comprehensive health insurance that covers you in Germany.
If these conditions are met (employent or not) you have the right of free movement in Germany and must be issued a "Freizügigkeitsbescheinigung" which is valid indefinitely
hi there,
can you clarify for me, the sentence i have highlighted ~
is this equal to the amount throughout the year, or on arrival FOR the year?

and does it have to be private medical insurance? or is the E111 sufficient?
MelC

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:52 pm

MelC wrote:and does it have to be private medical insurance? or is the E111 sufficient?
Any insurance, in principle, that would be accepted as comprehensive. E111 doesn't exist anymore. I suppose you mean EHIC. But that only covers you for emergency situations and only for a limited time.

MelC

Post by MelC » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:44 pm

86ti wrote:
MelC wrote:and does it have to be private medical insurance? or is the E111 sufficient?
Any insurance, in principle, that would be accepted as comprehensive. E111 doesn't exist anymore. I suppose you mean EHIC. But that only covers you for emergency situations and only for a limited time.
thanks bud,
I still know it as the E111, even though I do have the small card
MelC