ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HSMP job search concern - Work authorization period

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

salman_7777
Newly Registered

HSMP job search concern - Work authorization period

Post by salman_7777 » Sat May 15, 2004 7:55 pm

Hi Chess, Kayalami and co,
After getting through the HSMP venture, I am looking into some job opportunities on the internet. I have a concern/observation about a potential hurdle for job seekers being HSMP migrants.

1- There are typically 2 options in online application while I confirm my work authorization.
- I am a EU, UK citizen or hold a valid UK documentation to work indefinitely in UK
- I need a work permit /sponsprship to work for any employer in UK.

Another example of employer's expecations:

Special Considerations

All candidates applying to work must either be a European Economic Area national or be in possession of documentation giving them the authority to work indefinitely in the UK without restrictions. Proof of documentation will be required.

Where do we (HSMP fellas) fit in the above scenario ? Neither we are the citizens of EU etc nor we have authorization to work indefinitely( initially for 12 months). Ain't this a negative point? Has anybody experienced such difficulty to negotiate the eligibility with employer or how did they convince employers about such restrictions ?

Although, HSMP culture is relatively new but it 'd be great to have some input and I expect that there should have been some education by home office as well. Do I hear any voice ? :roll:

Thanks !

HIB.

sand_03
Newly Registered

Post by sand_03 » Mon May 24, 2004 11:25 pm

Hi salman_7777

I am myself in your phase of job hunting after hetting the HSMp approval. Did you find an answer to this question. I find it very valid and crucial HSMP job hunters.

Pls update

Thanks

LA_Mike

Post by LA_Mike » Tue May 25, 2004 6:59 am

When only the above choices are given, I've chosen "able to work indefinitely without restriction" then been more specific when given a chance

specifically:
"I am authorized to work for any employer in the UK under a HSMP work permit, valid through May 2005, renewable for 3 years (after which I will apply for indefinite leave to remain)

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Tue May 25, 2004 6:11 pm

LA_Mike wrote:
When only the above choices are given, I've chosen "able to work indefinitely without restriction" then been more specific when given a chance

specifically:
"I am authorized to work for any employer in the UK under a HSMP work permit, valid through May 2005, renewable for 3 years (after which I will apply for indefinite leave to remain)
Ditto that - write/ mark indefinite choice then explain the workings of the HSMP scheme later as appropriate...it is becoming better known in the job market. Primary concern for employers is applying for your WP - once they realise this is not an issue you can move/ focus on to the job part. Expect a step down in the package on offer vis a vis your pre UK position (in real terms) as employers take advantage of your 'lack of UK experience'.

Square

Post by Square » Tue May 25, 2004 8:02 pm

In my case I specified I was eligible to work in the UK indefinately but there is an renewal point to my visa (after 12months).

As Kaya pointed out, I succumbed to a step-down from my pre-HSMP position and pay just to be able to build the 'critical' UK experience many employers and agencies are interested in.

My encouragement is that basically, the decision to migrate was a long term one and I even consented to making the UK my permanent home. With this in mind therefore, I'm confident in a short while I'll be targeting (infact I'll get) my ideal job but the start will not necessarily be smooth-going.