ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Confirmed PR in Canada but no PR Card

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

maxthewonderdog
Newly Registered

Confirmed PR in Canada but no PR Card

Post by maxthewonderdog » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:45 pm

Hi all,

I went to Canada for a week and had my COPR checked and was allowed into Canada. The problem now is that I have returned home to univeristy and when the Immigration Officer asked how long I was staying I told him. He then wouldn't take my family's Canadian address to send out my PR card.

My question is, what should I do here? Should I go ahead and sbmit my family's address and get the PR card posted out and sent on to me in UK? Or (should I/do I need to) apply for a travel document to return to Canada (in probably 1 year) and submit another application for my first PR card?

The form I was given asks for the address within 180 days but also says I need to be in Canada.

Am really confused but also concerned that I won't be able to return without the card.

As always, any help greatly appreciated.

Max

raymasa2
Member of Standing

Re: Confirmed PR in Canada but no PR Card

Post by raymasa2 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:41 pm

maxthewonderdog wrote:Hi all,

I went to Canada for a week and had my COPR checked and was allowed into Canada. The problem now is that I have returned home to univeristy and when the Immigration Officer asked how long I was staying I told him. He then wouldn't take my family's Canadian address to send out my PR card.

My question is, what should I do here? Should I go ahead and sbmit my family's address and get the PR card posted out and sent on to me in UK? Or (should I/do I need to) apply for a travel document to return to Canada (in probably 1 year) and submit another application for my first PR card?

The form I was given asks for the address within 180 days but also says I need to be in Canada.

Am really confused but also concerned that I won't be able to return without the card.

As always, any help greatly appreciated.

Max
Yes, you can give your family's address in Canada and have the card mailed there. If you apply after 180 days, there is a charge for the card, but within 180 days of landing, there is no extra charge.

If you return to Canada without the card, you would need a travel permit, however, if you hold British passport (or another passport that allows visa free travel to Canada), you may be able to travel without a travel permit.

Ray

maxthewonderdog
Newly Registered

Post by maxthewonderdog » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:11 pm

Hi Ray,

Thank you for the answer. Have sent you PM.

For anyone else who might have been as lost as I was about the link for this

https://services3.cic.gc.ca/ecas/?app=c ... ng=english

Just one other query. Since I am not heading back to Canada until early 2012, does anyone know of problems that I might encounter crossing back into Canada?

Thanks,

Max

raymasa2
Member of Standing

Post by raymasa2 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:27 pm

maxthewonderdog wrote: Just one other query. Since I am not heading back to Canada until early 2012, does anyone know of problems that I might encounter crossing back into Canada?

Thanks,

Max
That depends on when you landed. You need to be in Canada for 2 years out of 5, or put it another way, you can be out of Canada for 3 years out of 5.

There are situations where the above does not apply, for example if you are accompanying Canadian Citizen abroad or working for a Canadian company.

Ray

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Re: Confirmed PR in Canada but no PR Card

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:15 pm

maxthewonderdog wrote:I went to Canada for a week and had my COPR checked and was allowed into Canada. The problem now is that I have returned home to univeristy and when the Immigration Officer asked how long I was staying I told him. He then wouldn't take my family's Canadian address to send out my PR card.
I don't think I understand. You landed in Canada "and had my COPR checked." When you do that they want to know the address to send the PR card.

So which IO asked how long you were staying? The same one as accepted your COPR?