ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

claiming jsa will it affect my wifes visa

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

claiming jsa will it affect my wifes visa

Post by 2036789 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:52 pm

hi I am a british born Citizen and my wife arrived on a 2 year settlement visa in jan from pakistan of this year, i am currently unemployed and desperatley wan to get back into work as ive just had a newborn am I allowed to claim jobseeker allowance for myself, if i do will this affect my wifes ILR application or will it have a negative affect on her ILR application thank you.
also i have a newborn son i understnd i can claim child benefits for him on my name.
MM

mochyn
Diamond Member

Re: claiming jsa will it affect my wifes visa

Post by mochyn » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:55 pm

2036789 wrote:hi I am a british born Citizen and my wife arrived on a 2 year settlement visa in jan from pakistan of this year, i am currently unemployed and desperatley wan to get back into work as ive just had a newborn am I allowed to claim jobseeker allowance for myself, if i do will this affect my wifes ILR application or will it have a negative affect on her ILR application thank you.
also i have a newborn son i understnd i can claim child benefits for him on my name.
As you are British you are entitled to JSA and child benefits and it will not affect your wife's ILR application

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:58 pm

Child Benefits? They come in two shapes! That is, Child Benefit .... claimed by one parent .... and that could just as easily be the father as the mother.

But also .... Tax Credits .... which in respect of a couple living together MUST be claimed by the couple jointly. For just one of the couple to claim Tax Credits could amount to benefit fraud.

For reasons covered at length in this Claiming Benefits section, it is no problem ... in your circumstances .... making such a joint claim.

Also ... read this topic.
John