ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I'm a UK citizen...

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

madsam
Newly Registered

I'm a UK citizen...

Post by madsam » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:36 am

Coming to America to live permanently has always been my dream. Ever since I first went on holiday when I was young, within an hour of arriving I was asking how do I get to live there permanently, even then people told me it was difficult. Now it seems even harder. My friends in the US always say to me it could not be that difficult for a UK citizen to come to live in the US, I'd really like to see someone offer an insight or simplify the process to that. I've worked for myself ever since school so I have no exceptional skills or job history.

While I'm a successful businessman, earning a six figure salary with a fairly light working week that affords me a very comfortable lifestyle, I'm not super rich yet. I have big plans however and the US has always features so prominently I can't imagine being happy anywhere else. I've often commented I'd take any job over there if it meant the Green Card then I could just continue with my business in the US after working whatever job but it seems like any company offering sponsorship would only do so for the very highly skilled or in demand professions. I just want to continue with my own ambitions. It has seemed like the only option available to me is the investment based Green Card, however I think anyone would agree investing $1,000,000 and hiring at least 10 people to meet the requirements is a bit steep to do right off the bat before you're even there.

One attorney has suggested if all I want to do is get over to do my own business then I should have a company sponsor me who in effect does not intend to hire me. I've even considered much worse and thought about paying someone to marry me so I can get the Green Card through marriage, not the way to do it I know but I'm crying out for help and feel in a very difficult position. Since I saw Afghan/Iraqi translators was recently added to a list of in demand skills I've thought about becoming fluent in those languages but how assured is that position. That's all getting a bit extreme now.

Can anybody point me in a new direction, and shed any light on reaching my destination?

Thanks

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Re: I'm a UK citizen...

Post by Marco 72 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:48 am

If investing in a high unemployment area, the minimum amount for an EB5 green card is $500,000. You don't actually have to manage the investment yourself - you can put your money in one of the "regional centers" which will invest it for you. See here.

Midlands2010
Newly Registered

Post by Midlands2010 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:22 pm

How about an EB2? I heard that even with $100K a British Citizen should be okay, but i am not sure

michael30
Newly Registered

Post by michael30 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:00 am

Hi,
I didn't know that green card can be that expensive. The question whether there are any alternatives like a free green card would be interesting.
Does anyone know more about that?
Thx
M.K.