ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Married abroad where do i apply for divorce?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

DC-IB
Newly Registered

Married abroad where do i apply for divorce?

Post by DC-IB » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:48 pm

Hi all!!! Looking for advise.
I'm a Non-EU married to a French national, we got married in my home country, been married for 4yrs and 9 mnts (Feb 2006), entered the UK on a EEA family permit valid for 6 months in Apr 2006. After the 6 months (sep 2006) applied for RC got it approved in 2 weeks for 5 years (oct 2011). When i applied for the RC presented the original married certificate stamped and officially translated had no issue.
My wife and I have been separated for few months and came to the decision of divorcing. [b]My question is how do i start the divorce proceedings?[/b] As we did not get married in the UK do i just go to my embassy and apply for divorce there?. As i have been reading on the forum i have to present in my application to retain the right of residency the decree absolute. But if i have married abroad and once the divorce goes through the divorce certificate confirmation will be issued by the My countries government, i guess!! , will a officially translated certificate be valid in this case?
Also when will i be eligible to apply for PR once the divorce comes through?
I will appreciate all your answers and advice. Thanks
Last edited by DC-IB on Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:34 am, edited 3 times in total.

bobobo

Re: Married abroad where do i apply for divorce?

Post by bobobo » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:37 pm

You can get a divorce through HMC in UK, s a rule of thumb if both of you are normally resident in England or Wales or have last lived together as husband and wife in England or Wales, the court will have jurisdiction to grant the divorce.

It doesnt matter where you were married as long as both of you are residents in England or Wales and you have the original marriage certificate (transalated and notarised if not in english)
check the HMCourts website for more information.

Information can be found on the web on what to do for example
http://www.netlawman.co.uk/info/start-d ... edings.php

DC-IB wrote:Hi all!!! Looking for advise.
I'm a Colombian national married to a French national, we got married in Colombia, been married for 4yrs and 9 mnts (Feb 2006), entered the UK on a EEA family permit valid for 6 months in Apr 2006. After the 6 months (sep 2006) applied for RC got it approved in 2 weeks for 5 years (oct 2011). When i applied for the RC presented the original married certificate stamped and officially translated had no issue.
My wife and I have been separated for few months and came to the decision of divorcing. My question is how do i start the divorce proceedings? As we did not get married in the UK do i just go to my embassy and apply for divorce there?. As i have been reading on the forum i have to present in my application to retain the right of residency the decree absolute. But if i have married abroad and once the divorce goes through the divorce certificate confirmation will be issued by the Colombian government, i guess!! , will a officially translated certificate be valid in this case?
Also when will i be eligible to apply for PR once the divorce comes through?
I will appreciate all your answers and advice. Thanks