ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What happens to ILR sticker after Naturalisation? Thanks

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mcovet
BANNED

What happens to ILR sticker after Naturalisation? Thanks

Post by mcovet » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:36 am

What happens to the ILR sticker in a foreign passport after obtaining a British Passport?
How does it work in general, could you enter the UK without even showing the British Passport (obviously in theory) and is ILR valid nevertheless?

If it's still valid, can it be transferred to a new foreign passport after the expiry of the old foreign passport one, while already being a naturalised BC?

These are hypothetical questions and if anyone has an answer it would be greatly appreciated.

Thxxx :shock:

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:19 pm

AIUI - as soon as you are a naturalised BC - the ILR is no longer valid (because you are a BC) and thus couldn't be transferred.

But this begs the question - why would you want to keep the ILR sticker in the other passport?

If you turn up at the border - you present the british passport ... easy ... no queuing in the international line ... no landing card ... just get the passport scanned and through you go.

mcovet
BANNED

Post by mcovet » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:55 pm

Thanks for the reply! What's AIVI? Have you got statutory authority for your comments? Many thanks again.

MPH80 wrote:AIUI - as soon as you are a naturalised BC - the ILR is no longer valid (because you are a BC) and thus couldn't be transferred.

But this begs the question - why would you want to keep the ILR sticker in the other passport?

If you turn up at the border - you present the british passport ... easy ... no queuing in the international line ... no landing card ... just get the passport scanned and through you go.

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:10 pm

AIUI = As I understand it.

And no - no statuatory backup for it.

Why not put some flesh on those hypothetical bones to enhance our understanding of WHY this might be an issue and we can tell you the right position.

M.

mcovet
BANNED

Post by mcovet » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:49 pm

God, you're nosey :lol: as I said this is a hypothetical question. Let's assume one is from his/hers native country where they lose their British Passport. If they have their native passport with the ILR in it, it would be quicker to fly back to the UK and apply for a replacement here, rather than applying for a certificate of entitlement or whatever that is and waiting for that, especially if you're in a rush to get back to the UK, and can't wait for the paperwork!

Therefore, if you have a foreign passport which is due to expire with the ILR in it, it would and could be prudent to transfer it into a new foreign passport when issued, if that makes sense, just for the sake of the HYPOTHETICAL situation above.

Hope I answered your question as to why I posted THIS question. Now, if anyone else has concrete info, backed up by some statutory authority, it would be greatly appreciated.

Once again, MPH80, thanks for keeping this topic moving and for your efforts :wink:

P.S. As a matter of fact, I've just checked this http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply ... ghtofabode and it states that those who have been issued with a British Passport are not entitled to the Certificate of Entitlement sticker, thus, the only way to get back to the UK (if the British passport is lost) would be to apply for a new British passport, which again, if correct, proves the practicality of having the ILR in the foreign passport of the naturalised British Citizen!

MPH80 wrote:AIUI = As I understand it.

And no - no statuatory backup for it.

Why not put some flesh on those hypothetical bones to enhance our understanding of WHY this might be an issue and we can tell you the right position.

M.

iyanu
Member of Standing
Nigeria

Post by iyanu » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:52 am

mcovet wrote:
God, you're nosey Laughing as I said this is a hypothetical question. Let's assume one is from his/hers native country where they lose their British Passport. If they have their native passport with the ILR in it, it would be quicker to fly back to the UK and apply for a replacement here, rather than applying for a certificate of entitlement or whatever that is and waiting for that, especially if you're in a rush to get back to the UK, and can't wait for the paperwork!

Therefore, if you have a foreign passport which is due to expire with the ILR in it, it would and could be prudent to transfer it into a new foreign passport when issued, if that makes sense, just for the sake of the HYPOTHETICAL situation above.

Hope I answered your question as to why I posted THIS question. Now, if anyone else has concrete info, backed up by some statutory authority, it would be greatly appreciated.

Once again, MPH80, thanks for keeping this topic moving and for your efforts Wink

P.S. As a matter of fact, I've just checked this http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply ... ghtofabode and it states that those who have been issued with a British Passport are not entitled to the Certificate of Entitlement sticker, thus, the only way to get back to the UK (if the British passport is lost) would be to apply for a new British passport, which again, if correct, proves the practicality of having the ILR in the foreign passport of the naturalized British Citizen!
I really do agree with MCOVET on this one, as it make sense coupled with the fact that if your foreign country allowed DUAL CITIZENSHIP, then it make so much sense to have your ILR Sticker transferred to your new passport. It will definitely have its use one day! :)

Mhunt
Newly Registered

Post by Mhunt » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:56 pm

What if I become a British Citizen and have to go abroad before applying for my first British passport? Can I use my foreign passport with an ILR sticker to return to the country?

JulesN19

Post by JulesN19 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:44 am

Mhunt wrote:What if I become a British Citizen and have to go abroad before applying for my first British passport? Can I use my foreign passport with an ILR sticker to return to the country?
I know people who have done exactly that without any trouble when travelling soon after a naturalisation ceremony.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:53 am

Mhunt wrote:What if I become a British Citizen and have to go abroad before applying for my first British passport? Can I use my foreign passport with an ILR sticker to return to the country?
May be possible but only if your foreign passport remains valid (i.e.- your foreign country allows citizens to hold dual / multiple citizenships).

regards