ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Some Beginner Tier 1 Visa Questions

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

BatteriesNotIncluded
Newly Registered

Some Beginner Tier 1 Visa Questions

Post by BatteriesNotIncluded » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:34 pm

Hello ImmigrationBoards :) I found the site after doing a search for Tier 1 forums. I'm new to applying for visas myself and would like to ask a few questions about applying for a Tier 1 General (Highly Skilled Migrant) visa.

Bit of background info:
I am currently on a Tier 1 Post-Study-Work visa, expires middle of November. I am self-employed and according to the points-based online calculator I meet the 100 point requirement to obtain this visa. I have a number of questions for those more experienced than myself:

1. Is the application process difficult to process by yourself / in-person? I am considering using a visa agency to help process my application just so that I have the peace of mind of not forgetting anything. However, this obviously costs money, so feedback from people who have done the application themselves would be much appreciated.

2. One of the requirements of the visa is that I have £800 or more in a bank account for the last several months. I have had this amount now for over a year, but is it acceptable that I've opened a bank account solely for my income and that I use this to show my earnings? (with nothing else going in, and bills continuing to go out of a different account - I'm living on my savings at the moment to make it easy and obvious to itemise my income into my second current account) I wonder if other people do this also and whether this is acceptable, or I need to show statements for every bank account I own.

3. Does anybody know where to write to if I wanted to express my opinions as to immigration policy? While I support (even though I'm not British) having tough immigration policies, it distresses me somewhat to know that the requirements I needed to meet to stay in the UK were £23k, and then changed up to £35k in a period of less than three months without any warning. I don't expect to change anything at all of course, but it would be nice to know where I should write to for clarification or to express an opinion.

Thanks in advance for your time / responses!

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:33 pm

1. For a Tier 1 (PSW) migrant, submitting a Tier 1 (General) application shouldn't be difficult ... unless the Tier 1 (PSW) application process itself proved to be a difficult task.
2. Reading the Tier 1 (General) policy guidance carefully will help provide answer to queries such as this.

regards

goldfish
Member of Standing

Post by goldfish » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:43 pm

sushdmehta wrote:1. For a Tier 1 (PSW) migrant, submitting a Tier 1 (General) application shouldn't be difficult ... unless the Tier 1 (PSW) application process itself proved to be a difficult task.
2. Reading the Tier 1 (General) policy guidance carefully will help provide answer to queries such as this.

regards
I applied for my original HSMP (Tier 1) visa and an extension successfully, by myself. A friend used an agency and they made a mistake in the process, causing her lots of issues. Other friends did it themself, did not get the application quite right, and ended up having to apply multiple times and get a solicitor to get it approved. I decided that there was only person person who really had a stake in getting it right - and that was me, so I would do it myself and save lots of £££. But it depends on you. If you are very organised and pay attention to detail, you could apply yourself, but if you are unsure and want someone else to be involved, use an agent but make sure *you* check the application as well.