ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Distressed Ex Banker seeks help!

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

leonuh1
Newly Registered

Distressed Ex Banker seeks help!

Post by leonuh1 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:00 pm

Hi All,

Am in a bit of a fix and an ex colleague told me this was a great forum. So here I am hoping some kind souls will help me :-) Thanks for the help in advance people and sorry for boring you with my story.

Came into the UK on 30/10/2005 on a work permit which started on 29/10/2005. Switched to a Tier 1 General Migrant in July 2008. That LTR expires on 28/07/2011.

Unfortunately the double whammy of the credit crunch and a merger meant that my job was made redundant on 30/04/2009. I have since been trying my hand at enterprenuership. However I havent registered the business yet nor has it made money yet ie I dont have a set of accounts yet.

I however have had a decent income from my ex employer through deferred bonus in April 2010 and another tranch will arrive in April 2011. I have been paying tax, rent, utility bills etc and can show funds and bank balance.

My question is can I apply for ILR based on the fact that I am economically active because I have an income (even though its only once a year) , am paying tax, pay rent etc etc. My accountant can ofcourse certify that I am self employed and carrying out business even though I dont have books of accounts yet.

If ILR is not feasable then can I apply for an extention for Tier 1 General. I do qualify on the points - education + income in last 12 months, but again the issue is that I dont have a job at the moment.

Sorry for the convoluted story. I do hope some of you can help.

Thanks

xyz123

Re: Distressed Ex Banker seeks help!

Post by xyz123 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:26 pm

leonuh1 wrote: However I havent registered the business yet nor has it made money yet ie I dont have a set of accounts yet.

My question is can I apply for ILR based on the fact that I am economically active because I have an income (even though its only once a year) , am paying tax, pay rent etc etc. My accountant can ofcourse certify that I am self employed and carrying out business even though I dont have books of accounts yet.

If ILR is not feasable then can I apply for an extention for Tier 1 General. I do qualify on the points - education + income in last 12 months, but again the issue is that I dont have a job at the moment.

Thanks
what is stopping you from registering and getting book of accounts? Seems a bit dubious to be honest. You claim to be self employed but havent registered anything. Is your only source of income this bonus you are getting. Is the bonus really that high that you can support you (+ your family if u have) for one whole year. And on top of that you will need to show that your employer made u redundant and still gives you bonus 2 years after your employment ended...

If you cant get ILR, you will need to meet all requirements for Tier 1 at the time you apply which will involve usual minimum income. Please check the Tier 1 form and guidance notes to see what can be included and what can not be.

jmaroc
Newly Registered

Post by jmaroc » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:04 pm

Hello

I always find that the general helpline at UK Borders Agency is pretty uesful (yes, really!), as long as you ring a couple of times and get answers from two people, as the less well trained ones aren't up to date on the latest rules etc. and can be mis-leading.

I suggest you call them (you don't need to give your name) and start there.

M