ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Epistemology of a HSMP application

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

blooking
Newly Registered

Epistemology of a HSMP application

Post by blooking » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:20 pm

Hello Everybody,
I plan to apply for my HSMP end of Feb 06; I have tried to consolidate all the information that is required to go with my application (thanks to this forum). I am detailing the end to end requisites in the application process along with my queries. Please feel free to suggest improvements in any areas. Critique also welcome :)
I will be further detailing on specifics of some areas e.g. Exp Letter that I word etc (without names, dates etc)
  1. General Requisites
    a. Binder portfolio cover listed my name, 28+ application, and contact information
    b. Application Form
    c. Cover letter
    d. Notarized color copy of passport (photo and signature pages)

Question 1: Can I be directed to a sample covering letter please? I have searched on this forum and have not been able to find a sample covering letter
  2. Supporting Evidence
    a. Educational Background
    • Original Degree Certificate (Bachelor of Commerce)
    • Original Marksheet
    b. Work Experience (5 Years graduate level)
    • Experience Letter (from current employer) [Sr Systems Analyst]
    • Promotion & appraisal letters
    • Tax return
    • Experience Letter (from past employeer 1) [Senior Software Developer]
    • Client letter (endorsement regarding project I managed)
    • Certificate of incorporation of public limited company
    • Tax returns
    c. Past Earnings
    • 12 months salary slip
    • Evidence from employer
    • Xe.com currency conversion results (INR to GBP)
    Question 2: Although I have a degree in commerce, I work in the IT industry. Do I need to show evidence of technical qualifications gained through a diploma in IT? If yes, this evidence should go under which section?

Question 3: My career path in the IT Industry is Software Engineer?Senior Software Engineer?Senior Systems Analyst; will the change in career path from SE to SA create a issue?
  3. Continuity of Career in UK / Arrangment to seek work / Offer of work
    • Several job postings in my field from different online recruitment agencies
    • Email copies of invitations to interview w/ contacts in London
  4. Relevant qualifications and/or memberships to work in your chosen field (in the UK)
    Question 4: What evidence is to be shown here? This is a question on the application form and answering with a “NO” to this may be negative?
  5. English Language Proficiency
    Question 5: What evidence is to be shown here? This is a question on the application form and answering with a “NO” to this may be negative?
  6. Expected earning in the first 12 months
    • Evidence Regarding Expected Earnings: market analyses from www.reed.co.uk and references to earlier job postings listing salaries
    Question 6: What is the projected minimum figure that would be ideal here? Don’t want to sound too pessimistic or too optimistic.
General Questions:
  • Is it prudent to attach a CV? If yes then under what section?
  • Do I need to show a projected expenses budget at this stage? I am planning to stay with my friend in the UK. If projected budget is recommended what level of detailing is optimum?
Last edited by blooking on Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MWazir
Diamond Member

Post by MWazir » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:34 pm

Question 1: Can I be directed to a sample covering letter please? I have searched on this forum and have not been able to find a sample covering letter
Your coversheet could be very similair to this detailed post you have already made and if there is anything that you would like to draw the attention of the case worker, you could mention it here.
Question 2: Although I have a degree in commerce, I work in the IT industry. Do I need to show evidence of technical qualifications gained through a diploma in IT? If yes, this evidence should go under which section?
I was in the same position and I showed a couple of industry certifications that I passed. It woudnt benefit you in terms of points but would help establish your credentials as an IT guy despite coming from a commerce background. Certainly wouldnt hurt your application at all.
Question 3: My career path in the IT Industry is Software Engineer?Senior Software Engineer?Senior Systems Analyst; will the change in career path from SE to SA create a issue?
Nope, These days the progression from SE and SA is quite natural in big companies. Also note, it is note a huge deviation from what you are doing. Its not like you have chosen to change your career path into a non-IT area/domain.
Relevant qualifications and/or memberships to work in your chosen field (in the UK)
Question 4: What evidence is to be shown here? This is a question on the application form and answering with a “NO” to this may be negative?
No, this applies to certain proffesions and does not apply to others. For example a doctor might mention that he is registered practioneer under the General Medical Council or an Engineer may mention that he is a member of such and such organisation. Doesnt apply to everyone and you will not have a negetive impact because of it.
English Language Proficiency
Question 5: What evidence is to be shown here? This is a question on the application form and answering with a “NO” to this may be negative?
You can speak and write in English right? So you would tick Yes. If you say NO, you are saying that communicating in the language is a problem for you and you will also have to provide evidence on how you intend to work around such a handicap. If you tick Yes to english proficiency, you will need to prove it. I stated in my cover letter that I graduated from University where the meduim of instruction was english. I also work in a company and in a proffesion where English is not only the meduim of comnunication but a mandatory skill to have.
There are other applications who given exams such as TOFEL and mentioned it.
Question 6: What is the projected minimum figure that would be ideal here? Don’t want to sound too pessimistic or too optimistic.
Dont give any generic projections. References to earlier job postings listing salaries is more than enough.
Is it prudent to attach a CV? If yes then under what section?
A lot of people do it and there is no harm in doing it. Your binder cover or covering letter could list it under its own heading.
Do I need to show a projected expenses budget at this stage? I am planning to stay with my friend in the UK. If projected budget is recommended what level of detailing is optimum?
IMHO, this is more relevant during EC after you have obtained approval. There again its not mandatory to submit it.

Good luck with your application.

aj_cardiff
Newly Registered

Post by aj_cardiff » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:50 pm

I worked in the UK for 18 months and from last 4 years I am in the USA. Although it is not my mother language but English is the only way of communication during these years.
Ques: Can any one or moderator suggest me do I still need to show TOFEL or IELTS certificate ? I understand that putting either of these certificate will reduce chances for rejection but if I dont want to go for exam then how can I prove that English language won't be a problem and at the same time I get acceptance. :!: :!:

MWazir
Diamond Member

Post by MWazir » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:42 pm

You can mention in your covering letter that the meduim of instruction at university is english or that english is a pre-requiste for your job. You can also request your current employer to mention it in their letters.

blooking
Newly Registered

Experience Letter 1 (as promised)

Post by blooking » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:21 pm

Hi Guys,

Posting the first experience letter I have written up. Comments invited.

Chess / Wazir: what do you feel? do you recommend highlighting of specific areas like graduate level job etc?

Date:

To Whomsoever it may concern:

This is to certify that XXXXXXXX was a bonafide employee of XXXXXX Ltd, from 01-Aug-1999 to 31-Mar-2004 at the time of leaving his designation was Senior Software Developer. This role is a graduate level job and requires a minimum of degree level qualification.

XXXXX is an expert in Microsoft technologies and has in depth understanding of the .NET platform. He is technically sound in object oriented methodologies, UML, Rational unified process and XP development process. His envisagement of technological challenges in the project and providing effective solutions were a big advantage for the company. XXXXX's academic degree (Bachelor of Commerce) in financial accounting was critical to his role since all of the applications that we developed for clients have financial accounting, commerce and taxation as their core.

In brief the job responsibilities for XXXXX as a Senior Software Developer were:

Requirement Gathering: Capture the clients business requirements and study existing systems. Convert these artefacts into code worthy documents
Design: Produce detail design specifications
Coding: developing software using programming language. (C#, VB.NET, ASP.NET)
Testing: making unit test plans and testing the software accordingly.

XXXXX lead a team of developers, test analysts and database architects to deliver quality software solutions to our clients.

XXXXX also identified future enhancements in the programmes with respect to latest technologies and architected the enhancement in design and development for the team of programmers that he was leading

For XXXXXXXXX Ltd.

XXXXXX
Director