ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Returning on a Student Visa after Graduation but before PSW

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

azminad
Newly Registered

Returning on a Student Visa after Graduation but before PSW

Post by azminad » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:42 pm

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone had any comments on leaving the UK after graduating (December 15 in my case) but before I have applied for my PSW. I need to be home for a wedding on December 31,2010 but cannot apply until November 23 when my marks are released (current wait time is at least 5 weeks it seems). I have called the UKBA, and talked to Immigration Officers at Heathrow and they said it should be fine to get back in (I have a Canadian passport, will show my intention to apply for a PSW upon arrival, etc.,) but universities are sending out ambiguous information saying we will/can be rejected for no longer meeting the 'purpose' of a student visa if we have graduated and I have read about horror stories about people getting turned away at the border.

Any advice/information/experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:56 pm

Try and get information from Immigration officers in writing.

See also Question about travel under Student Visa.

If they admit you as a visitor, then you cannot switch to PSW in-country.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

azminad
Newly Registered

Post by azminad » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:06 am

Just so everyone knows, I traveled back into the UK and had no hassle from the border agency, even though most universities say I will have trouble getting in and should not travel. I did make sure to have my application and documentation with me to show my intention to apply, but the guard didn't even want to see it. May have helped having a Canadian passport, but don't stress about this!

aldoh
Newly Registered

Post by aldoh » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:24 am

Hi Azminad,

How long did you have left on your visa? I'm in a similar situation, and the things that I hear are terrifying!