ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship with current ILR status

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

rnr79
Member of Standing

Citizenship with current ILR status

Post by rnr79 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:21 pm

I am really getting confused with the recent news regarding immigration. I know it is difficult to say anything now untill the new rules are published. But just wanted to get a feeling of others views , what are the chances that the new rules will make it difficult to acquire British citizenship with current ILR status?. I will be eligible to apply for BC in May 2011. But getting worried that these new rules will make it difficult for me to be eligible and what are the chances that new rules will be declared before May2011

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:07 pm

The present Government have shelved the proposed Probationary Citizenship.

rnr79
Member of Standing

Post by rnr79 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:07 am

Casa wrote:The present Government have shelved the proposed Probationary Citizenship.
Actaully I meant as new government declared Settlement Reforms. This mentions about settlement and citizenship reforms so just wondering how this might afftect the people with current ILR status.

fahmad60
Newly Registered

Post by fahmad60 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:02 pm

rnr79 wrote:
Casa wrote:The present Government have shelved the proposed Probationary Citizenship.
Actaully I meant as new government declared Settlement Reforms. This mentions about settlement and citizenship reforms so just wondering how this might afftect the people with current ILR status.
as u mentioned ur self and so govt did, they are reforming the settlement but what is the issue with you. You already had ILR. very simple they are making difficult to qualify for ILR for all routes ( i.e student, workpermit, family etc etc). still wait and see i dont think you will have any porbl.

rnr79
Member of Standing

Post by rnr79 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:25 am

As the changes declared yesterday are coming into effcet Arpil 2011 and also May said yesterday that they are looking into settlement and citizenship rule changes and will declare in due course.

So I am assuming that those changes will not come into effect definitely before April 2011 and may be not before end of May 2011 (thats when i can apply for citizenship).

If so what do you guys think, should i be relieved at least for now

balded
Newly Registered

Post by balded » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:12 pm

My bet it that they will change drastically the rules for the ILR such that fewer people will be
able to obtain it.
As for citizenship for ILR holders: I believe that it is for the interest of the UK to give ILR holders a British citizenship, but the feeling is that the one-year period between the two is too short.
So my bet is that they will simply increase it to three years, or something like that.
Hopefully, all these changes will not affect you. Good luck!