ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Treaty Rights and Sufficient Resources

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Delaine

Treaty Rights and Sufficient Resources

Post by Delaine » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:24 am

Good morning all,

Can anybody define the following in terms of EU Directive and exercising treaty rights:

have sufficient resources for themselves and their family members not to become a burden on the social assistance system of the host Member State during their period of residence and have comprehensive sickness insurance cover in the host Member State

I'll be in Ireland shortly. Self-employed in the UK. I manage an arts group here, I'll still be doing that 'remotely' and the guys I work with here will still be carrying out work bookings in my absence. So I'll still receive an income from that - not a huge amount but its still an income. While Im trying to establish as self-employed in Ireland I'll be looking for a part-time job to supplement income.

If Im not claiming benefits, does that in itself deem me 'self-sufficient?' Or would INIS expect me to have a certain amount of funds in the bank to be deemed as 'having sufficient resources' and if its less than they want, then they can say 'well you dont have 1000s in the bank, so you arent/cannot be self-sufficient?

Also - would having comprehensive sickness insurance deem one as being self-sufficient in itself? or do you have to show you have insurance + substantial funds in the bank as proof of self-sufficiency?

Ive seen a few mentions re. comprehensive sickness insurance and Id like to have this anyway - but, how does one go about getting this (as cheaply as possible...!) I googled but couldnt find any direct info. re applying for it.

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Wisco

Post by Wisco » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:18 am

Presumably you just need to take out health insurance here in Ireland? Depending on your situation, prices can be pretty reasonable, but you have to do a bit of price comparison (Quinn Health, VHI, etc). I found it pretty easy to get everything I needed online.

walrusgumble
BANNED

Re: Treaty Rights and Sufficient Resources

Post by walrusgumble » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:21 am

Delaine wrote:Good morning all,

Can anybody define the following in terms of EU Directive and exercising treaty rights:

have sufficient resources for themselves and their family members not to become a burden on the social assistance system of the host Member State during their period of residence and have comprehensive sickness insurance cover in the host Member State

I'll be in Ireland shortly. Self-employed in the UK. I manage an arts group here, I'll still be doing that 'remotely' and the guys I work with here will still be carrying out work bookings in my absence. So I'll still receive an income from that - not a huge amount but its still an income. While Im trying to establish as self-employed in Ireland I'll be looking for a part-time job to supplement income.

If Im not claiming benefits, does that in itself deem me 'self-sufficient?' Or would INIS expect me to have a certain amount of funds in the bank to be deemed as 'having sufficient resources' and if its less than they want, then they can say 'well you dont have 1000s in the bank, so you arent/cannot be self-sufficient?

THere is no certain amount of funds expected

Also - would having comprehensive sickness insurance deem one as being self-sufficient in itself? or do you have to show you have insurance + substantial funds in the bank as proof of self-sufficiency?

Ive seen a few mentions re. comprehensive sickness insurance and Id like to have this anyway - but, how does one go about getting this (as cheaply as possible...!) I googled but couldnt find any direct info. re applying for it.

Any advice appreciated, thanks.
Self sufficiency is not defined. But, there are liberal views on same. Provided that you have money in your account and proof of access, and not claim welfare (even if you are entitled, which you may not be atm) you be grand. If you were staying for a long while, I would get have some heatlh and other insurance ( comprehensive) you be grand.

Delaine

Post by Delaine » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:05 pm

Thanks for reply, good info from you both and I'll check it out.