ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

residential qualifying period???

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

moonset
Newly Registered

residential qualifying period???

Post by moonset » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:18 pm

I am holding a British National Overseas passport (I am from Hong Kong), and I came to the UK in Feburary of 2006, and had a residence permit due to a Student Visa. Then my father married my step mother in August of 2006, my step mother had already got a Work Permit at that time, therefore my status of staying in the UK became Work Permit Dependant in August of 2006.

In January of 2009, I successfully applied to get a residence permit of Indefinite leave to remain in the UK.

My question is, WHEN can I apply for naturalisation as a British citizen? Feburary of 2011 or August of 2011? Which date should I start to count from, so that I have been living in the UK for 5 years?

One last question, do I need to take the Life in the UK test in order to apply for naturalisation as a British citizen?

Thank you.

Immigration Expert
Newly Registered

Post by Immigration Expert » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:22 pm

5 years from when you 1st entered the UK. as long as you have evidence of 5 full years then thats when you can apply.

and yes you have to complete life in UK unless you fall within exemtions- such as age? did u not need it for your ILR?

good luck

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:29 pm

If you are aged 18 or over, then see also Can I be naturalised as a British citizen?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.