ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How can I apply for PSW

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mahdyhasan
Newly Registered

How can I apply for PSW

Post by mahdyhasan » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:14 am

Hello guys,

I am doing undergraduate in Business. This is my last semester, my course will be finished by 14th of january 2011. My visa was already expired once in August, and I applied for extending my visa then. They have given me 2 months more than the date of my course will finish. So, my visa will be expired on 14th of March 2011. well, I had no complain then.

But recently (and suddenly!!!) I have figure out that I will get my final result on 17th of March 2011 (could be late). Okay, still I can apply for PSW from back home, but that's not what I want. I want to apply for PSW in london bcoz it's hassle-free.

So, how can I apply for remain to leave for 1 week (or something lie that) to home office. I know they tell the students with expired visas to go back to their countries and to apply from there. I talked to my college and emailed my uni. I heard same recorder twice :(
Reply of the email I sent to my University wrote:You have to have your result to apply for Tier 1 Post Study Work (PSW). If you apply before your results are out, you run a real risk of refusal. If you choose to go down this route, you would need a letter stating when your results will be known from your programme leader. Even with this letter, you can still be refused as at time of applying you will not have the information required by the UKBA to satisfy the conditions to qualify for PSW. Your best option is to return home while waiting for your results, (and certainly before current visa expiry) and then apply to return to the UK as PSW.

so guys, you tell me what I should do? Please don't tell me to go back my home country coz i already know that option. I want some other suitable options.

Best Regards
Last edited by mahdyhasan on Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:53 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

therock
Member of Standing

Post by therock » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:10 am

I think our senior moderators/admins should help others with proper advice instead of copying/pasting law which we hardly understand. This mate is worried because he will get his results on or after 17th January which is completely fine, if you get your result even by mid-February, your University/College can give you a supporting letter which is enough to apply for a PSW visa.

The most important thing for you now is to start maintaining the funds (£800) as the requirement is to keep these funds for 3 consecutive months (90 days), and if you have any exams remaining work hard to pass them so they won't make problems in getting your PSW visa.

I hope this helps.

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:02 am

The link vinny gave was not to some "hard to understand" law. It is to a website in plain English explaining in Q&A format exactly what is required and what is allowed.

It is much better to link someone to an official website than re-typing out something that's already there. Its much less likely that mistakes can occur as rules change often and sometimes even the most senior people on this forum can get it wrong (not that they do that often of course!!).

mahdyhasan
Newly Registered

Post by mahdyhasan » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:48 am

Vinny... Man, did u not read the reply from my uni!!! I already know the rules & regulations to apply for psw.. Thank you for sharing the link, but to be honest, that didnt help me at all coz that link didn't answer my question.. U should understand the questions Of others and the contents u provide before sharing something with others..
Thnx again

mahdyhasan
Newly Registered

Post by mahdyhasan » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:09 am

Therock.. Thnx for ur reply.. I m maintaing the fund here. Plus, i m gonna open an account in my country and put £2800 in that account to prevent from being late.

If nothing favors then i will go back to my country and will apply as soon as i get my results. I have heard that they will stop giving psw from end of the march.. So, if i wanna show 3 consecutive months' trannsaction, this is the right time to put money into the account.

Anyway, All i want is a way to stay here at least till 17th of january.. And of course with the permission of home office.. I have surfed lots of websites but coudnt get any proper answer.

Mela

Post by Mela » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:48 pm

If your visa expires on the 14th of January and University is not able to issue you a reference letter for PSW visa by this date, it is not possible to "extend your leave to remain by one week" and you would have to submit initial application from your home country.

vinny

Re: How can I apply for PSW

Post by vinny » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:25 pm

mahdyhasan wrote:So, my visa will be expired on 14th of March 2011. well, I had no complain then.

But recently (and suddenly!!!) I have figure out that I will get my final result on 17th of january 2011 (could be late).
So, what's the problem? If you get your result before your leave expires, then you may switch from within the UK.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

mahdyhasan
Newly Registered

Re: How can I apply for PSW

Post by mahdyhasan » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:26 pm

vinny wrote:
mahdyhasan wrote:So, my visa will be expired on 14th of March 2011. well, I had no complain then.

But recently (and suddenly!!!) I have figure out that I will get my final result on 17th of january 2011 (could be late).
So, what's the problem? If you get your result before your leave expires, then you may switch from within the UK.

oops...sorry...that'd be 17th of March I'm afraid...I didn't notice I wrote January instead of March..

mahdyhasan
Newly Registered

Post by mahdyhasan » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:27 pm

Mela wrote:If your visa expires on the 14th of January and University is not able to issue you a reference letter for PSW visa by this date, it is not possible to "extend your leave to remain by one week" and you would have to submit initial application from your home country.

ya... that's what they are saying...:(

Mela

Post by Mela » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:59 pm

mahdyhasan wrote:
Mela wrote:If your visa expires on the 14th of January and University is not able to issue you a reference letter for PSW visa by this date, it is not possible to "extend your leave to remain by one week" and you would have to submit initial application from your home country.

Don't worry. PSW is not affected by immigration cap limits, so your application can be processed even faster than inside the UK. Moreover, it is less expensive to apply form your home country. As there is no solution to be found, just be optimistic and prepare to return back home.

If it makes you feel better: a lot of students ended up in the similliar situation, when they have been given permission to stay only two months after completion of the course, which doesn't give enough time for Universities to process results.

mahdyhasan
Newly Registered

Post by mahdyhasan » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:37 am

Mela wrote:
mahdyhasan wrote:

Don't worry. PSW is not affected by immigration cap limits, so your application can be processed even faster than inside the UK. Moreover, it is less expensive to apply form your home country. As there is no solution to be found, just be optimistic and prepare to return back home.

If it makes you feel better: a lot of students ended up in the similliar situation, when they have been given permission to stay only two months after completion of the course, which doesn't give enough time for Universities to process results.

right..thnx for your support Mela...I think I will go back in february and apply in march...i will have to deal with a lot of money though :(