ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Family outside the UK

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Cosmos

Family outside the UK

Post by Cosmos » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:22 am

Hi everyone,

My friend is a British National and wants to bring her parents and sister to the UK who are Venezuelan citizens.
Could you please advice on what the requirements are, how long will it take to get entry granted and so on?
Many thanks in advance, you help is appreciated.

Regards,

C

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:07 am

Do you mean, bring for a visit? Or what?
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

Cosmos

Post by Cosmos » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:19 am

I am sorry, I've should had clarified. I meant to bringing them to settle in the UK.
Thank you

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:36 am

How old are they all?

What is the status of the parents in Venezuela? Working? Retired?

What is their financial status?

On the surface - without knowing anything about any of them - I'm going to say that the UK does not have a general purpose family reunion visa. People must normally qualify in their own right to become settled here (e.g. as tier 1 migrants etc).

There are, however, exceptions to these rules, hence the questions. As much detail as you can provide will be required.

M.

Cosmos

Post by Cosmos » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:50 pm

Hi

Her parents are 64 and 68 yrs old and her sister is 32.
They are about to retire and their financial status is OK.

Would it be any possibility for my friend who is British National to bring them to settle in the UK at all?

Many thanks

C

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:00 pm

On the parents:

http://ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/partnersa ... relatives/

They qualify on age as one is over 65 - however, the financial test isn't passed - they need to be largely dependant on their child and have no relatives around who can take care of them.

Alternatively - they could qualify on their own merit under the tier system.

The final option here is for her to move to another EU country and exercise her treaty rights for 6 months. She may, and I stress may, be able to bring them over under the EU family permit - she could then return to the UK under the Surinder Singh ruling.

But even then - they would apparently need to be dependant on her (http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply ... s#23094897) - and that means financially. Since they are supporting themselves, then that route is probably closed.

On the sister. Simple answer - not as your friend's dependant. It would have to be on her own merit.

So - the long and the short of it is "no" unless they qualify in their own right for another visa category - which are wide and extensive - so she'll need to do her own research here.

M.