ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

how to apply for british passport after ILR?help

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mrsi

how to apply for british passport after ILR?help

Post by mrsi » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:14 pm

hi i have got my ILR few months ago i came to uk on spouse visa and since i got my ILR now my lawyer told me you can apply for british passport after exact one year of your ILR issued .
i want to send british passport applicaton myself now do not want to waste money with lawyer can anyone tell me how to get started is there only a postal applicaton or is there any kind of interview aswell ?
what happens if you are taking benefits do they have any kind of restrictions i will be very thankful for your time and answers
regards

BJ21

Post by BJ21 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:49 pm

Non-citizens of the United Kingdom are ineligible for British passports, and at this point in time you are not a British citizen so you cannot apply directly for a passport.

There is another possibility, which is citizenship by registration, but that would require both of your parents to be UK citizens, and for you to be born in the UK and for your mother to be a British citizen at the time of your birth you would be able to register as a UK citizen.

If your father had been naturalised before your birth, you would be a British citizen by descent and could apply for a British passport straightaway.
However, if he obtained his citizenship after your birth, you are not entitled to British citizenship.

In short, you can't apply for a British passport unless you are a British citizen.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: how to apply for british passport after ILR?help

Post by geriatrix » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:01 am

mrsi wrote:hi i have got my ILR few months ago i came to uk on spouse visa and since i got my ILR now my lawyer told me you can apply for british passport after exact one year of your ILR issued .
i want to send british passport applicaton myself now do not want to waste money with lawyer can anyone tell me how to get started is there only a postal applicaton or is there any kind of interview aswell ?
what happens if you are taking benefits do they have any kind of restrictions i will be very thankful for your time and answers
regards
1. As and when you fulfil the requirements for spouses / civil partners, apply for naturalisation as British citizen.
2. After receiving naturalisation certificate, apply for British passport.

regards