ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling after Naturalised.

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

roopscisco

Travelling after Naturalised.

Post by roopscisco » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:15 pm

Hi team,

Have got caught in a situation as i have to travel next week ,for an emergency meeting , out side of UK for a week. have attended my naturalaization 2 weeks ago. But stil havnt applied for B.Passport .

My Question here is , can i travel on my current passport ? My current passport is vaild. Just wonder will there be any issue when entering in the UK ?

can someone advise on this please ?

Regards
Roopscisco.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:29 pm

Whether your non-UK passport is still valid / legal after acquiring British citizenship and whether you can use that passport to travel abroad depends on whether the country (that you hold the passport of) allows dual citizenship or not.

regards

roopscisco

Post by roopscisco » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:01 pm

sushdmehta wrote:Whether your non-UK passport is still valid / legal after acquiring British citizenship and whether you can use that passport to travel abroad depends on whether the country (that you hold the passport of) allows dual citizenship or not.

regards
well, im travelling back to my home land. Will it be an issue ?
Roopscisco.

balded
Newly Registered

Post by balded » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:02 pm

By law, you should enter and leave the UK with a British passport.
In practice it will not be a problem: no-one knows that you are a British citizen, and even if so, no-one will stop you from travelling just because
you didn't yet get your red passport.
After all, the UK is a civilized country !

lboro

Post by lboro » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:02 pm

balded wrote:By law, you should enter and leave the UK with a British passport.
Is there really any law for this? I think not and this is because you can have a right of abode stamp (after becoming British) put on your foreign passport and use it to enter UK.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:04 am

roopscisco wrote:
sushdmehta wrote:Whether your non-UK passport is still valid / legal after acquiring British citizenship and whether you can use that passport to travel abroad depends on whether the country (that you hold the passport of) allows dual citizenship or not.

regards
Does your "home land" allow dual citizenship? Is your home land passport legal anf valid, even after acquiring British citizenship?

regards

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:53 am

There is no such requirement. However, when entering the UK, it may be in your best interest to prove that you have the right of abode.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

roopscisco

Post by roopscisco » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:24 am

sushdmehta wrote:
roopscisco wrote:

regards
Does your "home land" allow dual citizenship? Is your home land passport legal anf valid, even after acquiring British citizenship?

regards
Yes.. it allows Dula citizenship. but i havnt applied for it yet. Also my passport is Valid (Not expired) and ,of course, its a legal.
Regards
Roopscisco.

roopscisco

Post by roopscisco » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:31 am

vinny wrote:
There is no such requirement. However, when entering the UK, it may be in your best interest to prove that you have the right of abode.
Thanks for the information. Is "right of abode" is different than Naturalaization OR Do i have to apply for "right of abode" separately before travelling ? Or what is about ? If its not different , Can i carry my Natualaization Certificate with me when travelling / entering into UK ? Please advise .

PS : I have ILR visa sticker on my current passport. Doesnt it mean that i can enter into UK as usual ?.

Regards
Roopscisco.

Backer
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Backer » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:28 am

Don't worry. Your passport is valid since your country of origin allows dual citizenship. There is no formal requirment on the British side to enter and depart the UK on a UK passport.

Technically, your ILR is indeed not valid anymore BUT practically it won't matter and certainly not in the near future. If you carry your naturalization certificate with you then you're 100% covered.

roopscisco

Post by roopscisco » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:50 am

Backer wrote:Don't worry. Your passport is valid since your country of origin allows dual citizenship. There is no formal requirment on the British side to enter and depart the UK on a UK passport.

Technically, your ILR is indeed not valid anymore BUT practically it won't matter and certainly not in the near future. If you carry your naturalization certificate with you then you're 100% covered.
Thank you for the update.. will carry my Naturalaization certificate with me as NO WAY that i can avoid this travel.

Cheers.
Roopscisco.