ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overseas earnings -employed or selfemployed

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

karani

Overseas earnings -employed or selfemployed

Post by karani » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:07 pm

Hi, I urgently need your help to make an initial application under Tier 1.
I'm currently under PSW visa and earning 25k p.a. since my UK earnings weren't sufficient to to apply for Tier 1 visa, I went to India and did some project work for a company for two weeks. I was paid approximately 2000GBP for this work.
I'm unsure as to whether I need to show this income as self-employment or emplyment. I do have a employemnt agreement with the indian comapny to work as a casual/temporary employee till next year. They will pay me on an hourly rate for any assitance I provide. Howver I haven't recived any work from then since my visit to India.
Please help.
Many Thanks to everyone in advance :D

karani

Post by karani » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:07 pm

can a someone pls pls pls advice?

Also if I'm showing it as a selfemployment do I need to get registered as selfemployed in the UK

silverline

Re: Overseas earnings -employed or selfemployed

Post by silverline » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:39 am

karani wrote:Hi, I urgently need your help to make an initial application under Tier 1.
I'm currently under PSW visa and earning 25k p.a. since my UK earnings weren't sufficient to to apply for Tier 1 visa, I went to India and did some project work for a company for two weeks. I was paid approximately 2000GBP for this work.
I'm unsure as to whether I need to show this income as self-employment or emplyment. I do have a employemnt agreement with the indian comapny to work as a casual/temporary employee till next year. They will pay me on an hourly rate for any assitance I provide. Howver I haven't recived any work from then since my visit to India.
Please help.
Many Thanks to everyone in advance :D
I reckon you shouldn't take the route of self-employed, it will be complicated & lenghty.

As you have employment contract. Take it as short contract employment, use earning multiplier, include the earnings with UK earnings but make sure indian income has been taxed in India & confirm that UK & India has treaty in place to avoid double taxation (you are UK resident). If it has not been taxed in India. Contact HMRC & declare it, they will tell you exact taxability.

karani

Post by karani » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:08 pm

Thank you so much for the advice Silverline. Can I still show the UK salary from my permenent employment recived during the time I was in India. My employment contract doesn't restrict me to work for someone else .