ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Changes to partner visa conditions?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

browneyed_girlksk
Newly Registered

Changes to partner visa conditions?

Post by browneyed_girlksk » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:15 pm

Hi all,

I am currently on a Tier 1 General Visa, but was considering changing to an unmarried partner visa (my partner is British) given the uncetainty re: whether I will be able to extend within Tier 1 after April 2011. An employer I was speaking to mentioned that she thought the gov't was considering restricting the right to work for persons in the UK on partner visas. Has anyone heard anything about this: I would have thought this would be hard to do with repect to human rights issues. I'm hoping she's mistaken and possibly referring to possible restrictions on Tier 2/4 dependents and not on partners of UK nationals

Thanks - all these changes are very stressful :(

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:50 pm

I think this proposal related to those on Tier 4 dependent visas not partners of British citizen or settled persons.

SSEF

Re: Changes to partner visa conditions?

Post by SSEF » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:11 pm

browneyed_girlksk wrote:Hi all,

I am currently on a Tier 1 General Visa, but was considering changing to an unmarried partner visa (my partner is British) given the uncetainty re: whether I will be able to extend within Tier 1 after April 2011. An employer I was speaking to mentioned that she thought the gov't was considering restricting the right to work for persons in the UK on partner visas. Has anyone heard anything about this: I would have thought this would be hard to do with repect to human rights issues. I'm hoping she's mistaken and possibly referring to possible restrictions on Tier 2/4 dependents and not on partners of UK nationals

Thanks - all these changes are very stressful :(
May I ask what this has to do with your human rights? Its quite normal in the US for partners of those on work visas not to be able to work, at the end of the day, you were not issued with a visa to work, you were merely given a visa to enter as a partner.

Imani
Newly Registered

Re: Changes to partner visa conditions?

Post by Imani » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:42 pm

Each application (human rights or not) is decided on it's own merits.

This is the UK not US and the rules for partners may be different over there. Over here, partners and spouses of settled residents and British citizens are entitled to work without restrictions for the period of thier leave.

@ topic.

You can carry on on your tier 1 visa and if you meet the requirements, may be able to change to unmarried partner's visa.