ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Studying full-time at time of naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

rohansinha
Newly Registered

Studying full-time at time of naturalisation

Post by rohansinha » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:06 pm

Hi everyone

Please could you help? All help/opinions on the subject would be appreciated.

I am due to receive my ILR in May 2011. I am currently fully employed and I wish to join a UK university to pursue to a Masters degree in Sept 2011. This programme is available in fulll-time mode only. Twelve months upon receiving ILR (when I am due to apply for a British passport), I would very much be full-time study mode. My question is: Does the Home Office require that an individual be in full-time employment in the UK at the time of the application for British nationality? OR does it not matter? I know for a fact that the applicant must be in the UK for a period of 12 months after receiving ILR (with a min time away from the country).

Basically, I wish to avoid a situation where Home Office can potentially refuse my application. Though I believe I should be allowed to study upon receving ILR. I was categorically instructed by home office that I CANNOT study in full-time mode whilst on Tier 1 - which is obvious and quite clear.

Thanks for reading this.

Regards
Rohan
Last edited by rohansinha on Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Backer
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Backer » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:12 pm

It does it not matter - you can also be umemployed (once you have ILR) as far as citizenship is concerned.

rohansinha
Newly Registered

Post by rohansinha » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:17 pm

Thanks Backer.
Quick clarification: where on the home office website could I find this?

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:22 pm

It may be difficult to find non-requirements.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

rohansinha
Newly Registered

Post by rohansinha » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:24 pm

Hi Vinny

I see your point. You agree though that it would be OK for me to be studying (being effectively unemployed) during the time of my British citizenship application.

Rohan

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:27 pm

Yes.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.